A4 2.5tdi 1999

Whymelord?

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and already looking for help! The audi sat down with me the other day and the man from the aa says the injector pump is faulty. Got it home and hooked it up to my cheap diagnostic thingy and it had 1 code (1318). Having scoured the net for answers it looks like a knackered pump and I've only just recovered from looking at the price of an exchange unit!!! Any help or info will be gratefully received

i cant find any mention of a fault code "1318" with a quick googling so perhaps you could elaborate on that?

What exactly does the car do? completely fail to start? does it crank over ok? does it fire at all?

On the 2.5 the pump failing is a common fault many have scrapped cars because of failiure.

I understand sometime the car can be made to work for a short time by replacing the lift pump as the new unit usually produces more pressure and allows the car to work. Someone unscrupleous could do that and sell it quick without a mention of the previos failiure and the poor new owner gets stuck with a £600 bill later down the line

Welcome to the board, sorry it's not under better circumstances. Have a butchers through the classifieds on here as somebody might be breaking one

happened to my cousins tdi. very common.
I would search the scrappies first. even a second hand unit and blooody knuckles from fitting it is more palatable than a full on *** reaming by audi!

happened to mine last summer, belts off job, £800 odd to remove refurb and refit pump, plus a new battery and starter
p.b asher do exchange pumps about £550 + vat
apparently only quattros have a lift pump, something to do with different design tank

Very common problem, changed loads in the last few weeks.

Some throw up codes others just don’t start. You can sometimes coax them into life with some damp start to get it to a garage (not recommended).

Not sure I would bother with one from a scrappy, for all the hassle it may be cheaper to go for an exchange unit. The pumps are around £600/£700 exchange. Simple to replace, space is a bit tight on the A4 when tensioning the pump belt.

You need to make sure the pump timing is spot on, using say Vag Com on the TDI graph

Hi, a big thanks to all who posted info regarding my injecton pump problem. I have sourced a pump off a breaking car and will go that way at moment(cant afford an exchange unit just now). Fingers crossed!!