Volks AutosAH Fabrications

Thread: A4 2.5tdi 1999

Reverse Gear

Status

Unhappy A4 2.5tdi 1999

Hi, new to the forum and already looking for help! The audi sat down with me the other day and the man from the aa says the injector pump is faulty. Got it home and hooked it up to my cheap diagnostic thingy and it had 1 code (1318). Having scoured the net for answers it looks like a knackered pump and I've only just recovered from looking at the price of an exchange unit!!! Any help or info will be gratefully received

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    i cant find any mention of a fault code "1318" with a quick googling so perhaps you could elaborate on that?

What exactly does the car do? completely fail to start? does it crank over ok? does it fire at all?

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    On the 2.5 the pump failing is a common fault many have scrapped cars because of failiure.

I understand sometime the car can be made to work for a short time by replacing the lift pump as the new unit usually produces more pressure and allows the car to work. Someone unscrupleous could do that and sell it quick without a mention of the previos failiure and the poor new owner gets stuck with a 600 bill later down the line

6th Gear

Status
    Welcome to the board, sorry it's not under better circumstances. Have a butchers through the classifieds on here as somebody might be breaking one

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    happened to my cousins tdi. very common.
    I would search the scrappies first. even a second hand unit and blooody knuckles from fitting it is more palatable than a full on ass reaming by audi!

5th Gear

Status
    happened to mine last summer, belts off job, 800 odd to remove refurb and refit pump, plus a new battery and starter
    p.b asher do exchange pumps about 550 + vat
    apparently only quattros have a lift pump, something to do with different design tank

2nd Gear

Status
    Very common problem, changed loads in the last few weeks.

Some throw up codes others just dont start. You can sometimes coax them into life with some damp start to get it to a garage (not recommended).

Not sure I would bother with one from a scrappy, for all the hassle it may be cheaper to go for an exchange unit. The pumps are around 600/700 exchange. Simple to replace, space is a bit tight on the A4 when tensioning the pump belt.

You need to make sure the pump timing is spot on, using say Vag Com on the TDI graph
    Last edited by PW-Motorsport; 13th January 2009 at 19:17.

Reverse Gear

Status

A4 Dodgy fuel pump

Hi, a big thanks to all who posted info regarding my injecton pump problem. I have sourced a pump off a breaking car and will go that way at moment(cant afford an exchange unit just now). Fingers crossed!!