Temp sensor

Reaction score
My water temp guage has stopped working so i was going to replace the sender switch first,can someone tell me where on the engine it is located ??

its on the black metal coolant gallery that runs along the side of the cylinder head then runs along the back, directly behind the rocker cover

If you have vagcom, it will tell you if the sensor is still reading or not.

You will loose some coolant when you change it. Mine stopped working it was only ready to the first line when the car was at temp.

Before you remove the old one, release any pressure in the system by taking the cap off the expansion tank, but ensure you replace it again otherwise it'll empty itself through the temp sender holder.

Make sure you do what Andymac says, then the thing is held in with a sliding clip, slide it out and pull, watch out for the rubber ring. Assuming your new sensor comes with a new seal, have it to one side assembled and just slip it into the housing as a straight swap, you will lose very little coolant . make sure its pushed down properly or theclip will not go back in.

Thanks guys,is it the one with the blue plug at the back of the engine ??

I just replaced the temp sensor on my S4 tonight. Nice easy job, getting the old one out required quite a bit of gentle persuasion, found it easiest to get a pair of mole grips clamped onto the sensor leaving your hands free to pull, also make sure you get a new u-clip with the new sensor as when I popped my old one off it was old and brittle and snapped pretty easily. Mine was blue with a 4 pin plug, although yours could well be different.

If its the blue 4 pin plug at the back of the engine i replaced that last year and managed to loose the plastic clip down the back of the engine but fortunatly the new sensor came with a metal circlip !!

Replaced it with a second hand one i had in the garage and all is now working fine. The faulty one was'nt even a year old from euro car parts !!

I tried wiggling the wiring a few days ago and cleaned the connections but it made no difference.