AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

S4 Downpipe fitting, how hard is it?

I've just got me a set of downpipes and high flow cats and was wondering how hard they are to fit or should i just give it to a gauage to do?
    I've got axses to a pit and most tools but how hards is it?
    Do you have to take much other stuff out to get to them?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    What make are they , wasnt them ones on ebay was they?
    99 Nogaro S4 now black bonnet and roof,blackdiamond discs and pads,Hybrid K04 with uprated actuators ,Rs4 clutch custom lightweight flywheel, esp lightweight pulley set ,Rs4 intake pipes ,rs4 mounts ,full samco hose set,F-hose delete ,BMC carbon induction, full stainless exhaust with de cat pipes, custom chip,18"ultra lights,LED rear clusters,6000k xenons ,LED sides,KW coilovers,powerflex bushes ,Boost guage in pillar pod,isotta steering wheel and gearknob,B&M short shifter

1st Gear

Status
    Oh god, yeah they were. Why?
    I got a cat back from the same guy and i'm very happy with it, it fits well and sounds/look good so thought i'd give these ago.

Reverse Gear

Status
    you say there are high flow cats... are you sure there arent any cats!
    Nogaro S4

6th Gear

Status
    The XS-Power ones are supposed to be an awkward fit. I know someone who had the full system and he was made up with it. Sounded good and got about 10-15bhp increase.
    Mo power, mo problems

6th Gear

Status
    See here for details - http://audisrs.com/about1490
    Mo power, mo problems

Reverse Gear

Status
    i got full miltek front to back on my s4 with NO cats. the bolts at the torbo end take a lot of abuse over the yearsdue to heat so can be a pain. you wont regret fitting a good system as the car breathes so much easier. Oh and the noise will blow your nuts off....................

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a4turbos View Post
    you say there are high flow cats... are you sure there arent any cats!
    I did email him and thats what he said so fingers crossed.
    I understand the bolts will be hard to undo I've done DP and turbo swaps on other cars in the past.
    But do you need any special tools i.e like bent spanners?
    Apart from the heat Shields do you have to take anything else off to fit them?

All hail the mighty quattro!

Status
    I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when I've attempted fitting my Labree downpipes.

Have a look on audizine and audiworld tech articles, quite a few good diy articles on there. The only major pain issue seems to be whether the turbo bolts will come undone or not.
    MRC-Powerflex-Hotchkis-Porsche-Compomtive-Vredestein-034-JHM-Apikol-EBC-FK-Labree-Vibrant-Recaro

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by OllyS4 View Post
    I did email him and thats what he said so fingers crossed.
    I understand the bolts will be hard to undo I've done DP and turbo swaps on other cars in the past.
    But do you need any special tools i.e like bent spanners?
    Apart from the heat Shields do you have to take anything else off to fit them?
    those xs power dp's do not have any cats afaik

4th Gear

Status
    You any sound clips or vids /pics etc of that system , im running fully decated piggies and no centre box but may go for the same downpipes if the rest sounds ok.
    99 Nogaro S4 now black bonnet and roof,blackdiamond discs and pads,Hybrid K04 with uprated actuators ,Rs4 clutch custom lightweight flywheel, esp lightweight pulley set ,Rs4 intake pipes ,rs4 mounts ,full samco hose set,F-hose delete ,BMC carbon induction, full stainless exhaust with de cat pipes, custom chip,18"ultra lights,LED rear clusters,6000k xenons ,LED sides,KW coilovers,powerflex bushes ,Boost guage in pillar pod,isotta steering wheel and gearknob,B&M short shifter

Status
    The XS power dps don't come with cats, even though they're mistakenly advertised that thye do, they are just resonator boxes, hence they're so cheap. According to lots of people on audizine the fitment is odwn to look, apparently made in 2 batches, maybe from 2 different jigs, one lot fit a treat, one lot is a real PITA and don't line up for toffee. Good luck!
    MRC-Powerflex-Hotchkis-Porsche-Compomtive-Vredestein-034-JHM-Apikol-EBC-FK-Labree-Vibrant-Recaro

1st Gear

Status
    How do you know the ones i'vejust won on ebay are XS power ones?
    If this is the case then i can always get my money back through ebay/paypal or just get matey with my MOT guy lol

Status
    If they're the 200ish quid ones off ebay then they'll be XS Power or SSAC, if not very similar copies, been floating about for ages on there. The ones there are loads of for sale? You'll soon tell if they are cats by looking down the end of them, if they're filled with fine honeycomb then they're cats, if they're straight through open pipes they're resonators.

Have a look on audizine in the S4 section, there's loads of info/details/discussions on there aboout them with mixed reviews.

Some people in the US used them and had some cats welded into the straight through/test pipes that come with the downpipes. Still cheaper than most of the downpipes out there, I'd considered biting the bullet and getting some after plenty of reading, but luckily picked up some $1600 Labree split mouth downpipes with hi-flow cats from the US for a measly $400! The cats are on seperate bolt in flanges so I'm making up some de-cats to swap in for "track" use...
    Last edited by stapo69; 10th January 2009 at 21:03.

Neutral

Status
    I was thinking of the down pipe with no precats route, for i understood, that as long as the main cat is there, you'll still pass an mot. that is for the precats are there to assist in the cold warm up period.
    If its right that i need my pre cats for MOT emmsiions test then i'll forget the idea.

Status
    You'll be perfectly fine gutting or removing your pre-cats and leaving the main cats, they're 400cell and you'll pass MOT with no worries.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andybnwc View Post
    You any sound clips or vids /pics etc of that system , im running fully decated piggies and no centre box but may go for the same downpipes if the rest sounds ok.
    check out the xs power web site it has a youtube vid - there are other from the states with piggies pipes and this cat back

quite tempting at the price - the gamble is fitment and having to access a friendly MOT station if running catless

http://www.xs-power.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=195

6th Gear

Status
    I've found the nuts from downpipe-to-turbo come undone really easily, if the car's been left running for a while, and the nust are nice and hot.

Just need to make sure you don't loose any skin whilst working in close proximity, and in the confined space...
    Last edited by Siena; 11th January 2009 at 12:12.

Status
    Hows about the downpipe to turbo nuts?

6th Gear

Status
    ^^^ My mistake, Stapo.

I meant downpipe-to-turbo nuts.

Status
    Thats cool, it does look a bit tight in there I must admit, but should be well worth it, a bit of heat never hurt anyone......

1st Gear

Status
    You guys were rite.
    They have just arrived and as suspected they are just silencers not CAT's.
    I have E-mailed they guy to see what he says about the fact he lied to me before i bid.
    I might keep them anyway and see about cutting and welding in some high flow cats.

What is the best cell CATs to go for so as not to mess up the lambda probes or MOT but still have max flow. 100 or do i have to have 200?
    Does anyone know of some were i can get some cheep Cats from?
    Last edited by OllyS4; 12th January 2009 at 11:04.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    online autosport often have universal cats on ebay, i think mark (byzan_a4) has one of those.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-200-cpi-Sports-Cat-Catalytic-Converter_W0QQitemZ270326302009QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2703263 02009&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66% 3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

There are a few others on there too

1st Gear

Status
    The guy has the cheek to say thats what high flow cats are like !
    I can see staight trough with no honeycomb.
    So do i need 2 X 200cell cats for max flow with out up setting th lambda probes?
    At less than 100 each thats not to bad it would come to 300 in total + welding.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    yep 200cell ones should be fine, you might get away with 100cell items too, but i'm not sure.

Do you have the ebay link for the downpipes? I wonder if you'd get away with a paypal claim for "item not as described" ?

Status
    I think the RS4 main cats are 200 cell, although I may be wrong, but plenty run them and are fine. Have heard of tuned RS4s running 100 cell with no issues either.

3rd Gear

Status
    just run without cats!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stapo69 View Post
    I think the RS4 main cats are 200 cell, although I may be wrong, but plenty run them and are fine. Have heard of tuned RS4s running 100 cell with no issues either.
    Yes, the RS4 systems are 200 cell.

RS4's running with 100 cell may get away with more come MOT time though, as they have secondary air injection.
    Mo power, mo problems

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    sai is only used on coldstart though so it shouldnt make any difference.

100cell will likely be fine, as long as the fuelling is ok, the limit is 0.3% CO, our 1.8T with no cat was only at 0.6% CO so while the 100cell might not get the reading down to 0% like the standard one does, it should still be enough to pass.

1st Gear

Status
    I had a 100cell cat on my 257bhp tuned 1.8t ibiza and that always pasted fine but didnt know what these cars are like.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    i'd go with the 100cell cats then, assuming they're not a lot more expensive.