Temperature Display Accuracy

jonathanA4

Reaction score
How accurate is the temperature reading on your dash displays? I find mine tends to be within range, but flucuates quite a bit during say a half hour drive even.

I've no idea how accurate mine is. Not sure what I'd use for comparison, either, short of holding a thermometer out of the window while driving.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

That would be something!
I just found it strange, the other day mine went from 30C - 38 C in about 20 minutes and then back down to 32 in another 15 minutes. I wasn't sure if this is normal (picking up heat from other cars around you)? or what... just seems like extreme fluctuation.

Where were you when it shot up? Bear in mind the sensor is somewhere in the engine bay, & reliant on a through flow of air, it will probably be sensitive to heatsoak if the car is stationary or in slow traffic. I've known mine to rise in traffic & then fall when I'm moving again. Mind you, 8 degrees is a big jump.

Yeah, I was sitting in traffic and it was around 32 C outside. I just found it weird to go up and down that much that quickly and was actually curious also where the sensor was located, so that helps.

My thoughts were the same that maybe the heat from all the cars was doing it because it did go down once I got moving again and the road opened up somaybe the thing is a bit sensitive.
From what you described though it sounds like it's alright.