Blown bose rear speakers

Mr K

Reaction score
One of my rear deck speakers is blown and the other doesnt sound too good either, the stereo is a symphony head unit with full bose (2000 X reg)
I have been looking at my options to replace them; it would be nice to keep it stock, but im having a bit of trouble tracking down a good pair of stock speakers, so i have decided to aftermarket (unless anyone on here has any good bose rear deck speakers?) but am having trouble finding anything in 2 Ohms & 17cm; anyone got any ideas?

Ta

2ohm speakers pretty much dont exist in the aftermarket.

You can replace them with 4ohm ones, however that will half the amps already lacking power output...

You should check how the rears are wired, you may find the shelf and door speakers are wired together in series, to give an overall resistance of 4ohm, or there may be other funkyness going on, like the bose amp might actually be a 6 channel thing...

If it was me, i'd do the job properly; fit a nice set of aftermarket speakers and a proper amp to drive them.

hmm, thats quite a bit more work than i was hopeing for; my plan was to stay with the bose and just get an ipod lead as i dont really want to change the head unit.

i will have a look at the amp/wiring, i assume the amp is on the right hand side of the boot behind the lining panel?

dont think it is on mine.

i also have a different shaped boot liner on the right hand side compared to my old TDI, but that could be to do with the quattro suspension compared to the fwd.

I have never come across anybody in the aftermarket sector that makes a suitable 2 Ohm speaker for BOSE replacement.

May be worth checking out some of the Vauxhall Omega solutions as well though, as the BOSE setup with 17cm 2 Ohm speakers was also used in them

The only ones i can think of are jbl GTO6527 maybe a new version available but never actually fitted using the low power audi amp

Ooops, I should reword my reply

I have never come across anybody in the aftermarket sector that makes a RELIABLE 2 Ohm speaker for BOSE replacement.

I know when previously fitting the JBL`s to Vauxhall / BOSE that the voice coils always seemed to fail within a couple of months - we have had a near 95% failure of the JBL stuff across the range, and to be honest would not touch the brand again with a bargepole. They used to be a brand to be reckoned with, but el-cheapo manufacture these days has done little for the quality. Shame.

They are the cheap end of the market now but havent had much stuff come back really compared to other brands just a couple of amps thats all really.

Ive never replaced oem for aftermarket without amping or new head unit