Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    2nd Gear

Status

Blown bose rear speakers

One of my rear deck speakers is blown and the other doesnt sound too good either, the stereo is a symphony head unit with full bose (2000 X reg)
    I have been looking at my options to replace them; it would be nice to keep it stock, but im having a bit of trouble tracking down a good pair of stock speakers, so i have decided to aftermarket (unless anyone on here has any good bose rear deck speakers?) but am having trouble finding anything in 2 Ohms & 17cm; anyone got any ideas?

Ta

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    2ohm speakers pretty much dont exist in the aftermarket.

You can replace them with 4ohm ones, however that will half the amps already lacking power output...

You should check how the rears are wired, you may find the shelf and door speakers are wired together in series, to give an overall resistance of 4ohm, or there may be other funkyness going on, like the bose amp might actually be a 6 channel thing...

If it was me, i'd do the job properly; fit a nice set of aftermarket speakers and a proper amp to drive them.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

2nd Gear

Status
    hmm, thats quite a bit more work than i was hopeing for; my plan was to stay with the bose and just get an ipod lead as i dont really want to change the head unit.

i will have a look at the amp/wiring, i assume the amp is on the right hand side of the boot behind the lining panel?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    on my bro's S4 its bolted to the underside of the shelf?

2nd Gear

Status
    dont think it is on mine.

i also have a different shaped boot liner on the right hand side compared to my old TDI, but that could be to do with the quattro suspension compared to the fwd.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    yours is facelift though so perhaps they hid them away or something?

DND Services Ltd

Status
    I have never come across anybody in the aftermarket sector that makes a suitable 2 Ohm speaker for BOSE replacement.

May be worth checking out some of the Vauxhall Omega solutions as well though, as the BOSE setup with 17cm 2 Ohm speakers was also used in them
    Regards

Dave

Radio & Decoding Technician
    In Car Audio Service Department

DND Services Ltd
    Paignton

01803-391680

www.dndservices.co.uk
    www.instant-radio-codes.com

My Daily Hack is a 1999 A4 Avant 2.4 SE V6 Auto

4th Gear

Status
    The only ones i can think of are jbl GTO6527 maybe a new version available but never actually fitted using the low power audi amp
    99 Nogaro S4 now black bonnet and roof,blackdiamond discs and pads,Hybrid K04 with uprated actuators ,Rs4 clutch custom lightweight flywheel, esp lightweight pulley set ,Rs4 intake pipes ,rs4 mounts ,full samco hose set,F-hose delete ,BMC carbon induction, full stainless exhaust with de cat pipes, custom chip,18"ultra lights,LED rear clusters,6000k xenons ,LED sides,KW coilovers,powerflex bushes ,Boost guage in pillar pod,isotta steering wheel and gearknob,B&M short shifter

DND Services Ltd

Status
    Ooops, I should reword my reply

I have never come across anybody in the aftermarket sector that makes a RELIABLE 2 Ohm speaker for BOSE replacement.

I know when previously fitting the JBL`s to Vauxhall / BOSE that the voice coils always seemed to fail within a couple of months - we have had a near 95% failure of the JBL stuff across the range, and to be honest would not touch the brand again with a bargepole. They used to be a brand to be reckoned with, but el-cheapo manufacture these days has done little for the quality. Shame.
    Regards

Dave

Radio & Decoding Technician
    In Car Audio Service Department

DND Services Ltd
    Paignton

01803-391680

www.dndservices.co.uk
    www.instant-radio-codes.com

My Daily Hack is a 1999 A4 Avant 2.4 SE V6 Auto

4th Gear

Status
    They are the cheap end of the market now but havent had much stuff come back really compared to other brands just a couple of amps thats all really.

Ive never replaced oem for aftermarket without amping or new head unit
    99 Nogaro S4 now black bonnet and roof,blackdiamond discs and pads,Hybrid K04 with uprated actuators ,Rs4 clutch custom lightweight flywheel, esp lightweight pulley set ,Rs4 intake pipes ,rs4 mounts ,full samco hose set,F-hose delete ,BMC carbon induction, full stainless exhaust with de cat pipes, custom chip,18"ultra lights,LED rear clusters,6000k xenons ,LED sides,KW coilovers,powerflex bushes ,Boost guage in pillar pod,isotta steering wheel and gearknob,B&M short shifter