s4 rear sub frame bushes

sun and kath

Reaction score
about to strip rear, will repalce discs / pads, springs and have a set of polly bushes for rear arms.
Whilst in there - is there any point in renewing rear subframe bushes (4 of)? The powerflex polybushes i have for the arms are not available for the subframe. there are uprated sub frame bushes available over in the states - looks like $100 plus post for 4 of them.

My car has done 120k, has anyone else bothered replacing them or do they tend to last?
:banghead::banghead:

have a search for powerflex there are quite a few threads and some mixed responses

well worth it I would think, even if you filled them with a Sikaflex type compound its going to help.
120k of bouncing is going to make them very soft

while i'm not totally convinced on the use of polybushes on the wishbones themselves, the subframe mountings are IMO a prime candidate for them. Basically you dont want the subframe to move at all, but clearly bolting it to the floor with nothing but steel would likely make the ride very harsh and transfer a lot of road noise into the shell, so they use rubber mounts. Replacing those with polybushes will still provide a degree of vibration isolation while being much stiffer than the OE rubber bush.

JCB: The sub framebushes look solid from underneath, unless they have recesses accessable from the top (when you take em off). But the diff mounts have voids in, so i could try filling them. any one done that? i've found some stuff i could buy to do the job.

just bought some today!
http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/616/medium/tiger_seal.JPG (stole the pic!)
plan to do most of them until I can afford to higher density 034 mounts ($1000 for the full works!)
engine mounts are the worst at the moment.
100k miles and 40 of those with me at the helm. bound to be mush by now
will let you know