S4 CTS Question

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ok folks i'm sorting some of the usual replacement parts for my bro's motor (DV's, N75, 1 way valves etc) and as hes been getting some oddness going on with the CTS i'm wanting to change that too.

I've looked at the sensor currently fitted and its green, but the electrical plug is blue. According to vagcat the 98 S4 should have a blue CTS...

Can anyone confirm should i be using the Blue CTS with part number 078919501B or should i use the newer green sensor p/n 059919501A.

The car is a very early S4, registered on an R-plate (97)

If it's anything like the '99 TDI 110, the green and blue sensors, though the values are the same, have different connectors.

Does Craig's blue plug fit the green sensor ok?

I've looked on my system, and it lists:

059 919 501 - >>8D-X-500 000
059 919 501A - F8D-Y-000 001

They're both green, and 20mm.

My ETOS / ETKA is the latest version, and it's live with monthly subscription, so accurate.

All depends on your chassis number.

well its as early as they come, i've read some things that say the "A" sensor fixes hot starting issues and things that the non "a" sensor has (although the car doesnt have any starting issues, just CTS related fault codes and oddness on the temp guage)

Blue plug seems to fit the sensor just fine, its just a standard 4 pin plug, i noticed on our '96 the sensor has two plugs near it, one 3 pin which isnt used, and one 4 pin which is, i presume it must have been a change over period or something?

Craigs blue plug seems to be identacal in shape etc to that of the green sensor thats fitted though, so i'm not really sure what to do. Do i buy another green sensor and hope the errors are simply because its failed, or do i buy the blue one?

Seen as you have the proper VAG thing, what does it list the 078919501B part number as being for?

078919501B Comes up with "Part number not found."

I checked from '97 through to '00 and the same message.
So, I'd say it's been superceded by a modified part, not uncommon in VAG.

The Audi S2 brown 4-pin CTS was changed 3 times.

I changed mine to one of the newer sensors when I replaced mine on my Oct 98 S4. Did need a different connector - D-shaped instead of square IIRC.

I thought the green ones were the newest revision. I only have a 1.8t but the plug is blue and the CTS is blue

fair enough i'll order up a green one, do i go for the revised "A" sensor or the standard one though?

Also, Siena, can you do anything on the pricing compared to the retail price at the dealers?

I've got a brand new genuine one here, still in packing.

I ordered it for someone, but she never turned up for it.

It's the green one - yours for £15 delivered.
Audi price is £22.80 + VAT (£26.22)

well in that case i'll probably take it, theres a pile of other bits i'm wanting though, i'll pm you the part numbers shortly.

Cheers