High bite point

voteforpedro

Reaction score
I've noticed the bite point on the clutch pedal is very high and nearly at the end of the pedal travel - is this normal? How is the cable adjusted on these cars?

Clutch isn't adjustable on the B5, and most hydraulically-operated cars.

The pedal does tend to bite quite high, if however you can select your gears just by depressing the pedal a quarter of the way, then the friction disc is close to the end of its useful life.

Clutch isn't adjustable on the B5, and most hydraulically-operated cars.

The pedal does tend to bite quite high, if however you can select your gears just by depressing the pedal a quarter of the way, then the friction disc is close to the end of its useful life.

That sounds like an expensive job. That's the next thing to go then. Will check it out tomorrow... Thanks!

Ours is at the very top of the stroke too, anyone that gets in it comments on how high the bite is, and it usually results in some comedy moments at junctions and suchlike when they end up kangarooing out or similar :p

ours is on 175k, and ive no idea if its the original clutch or not, i presume it is as theres no mention of a clutch change in the documentation. I think the reason it gets so high is related to the hydraulics and the pressure plate getting old. The pressure plate tends to weaken as it gets old, and this makes pressing the pedal easier. On a cable clutch car this would simply mean it gets easier to press the pedal, but on a hydraulic clutch the amount of fluid (ie pressure) required to move a soft friction plate is less than that required to move a new one, so not only does the pedal become lighter, but it starts to bite with much less movement.