Steering Noise

nemo2182

Reaction score
Somebody please help me!!!!!

My S4 has developed a very annnoying dry steering noise at slow speed, and it also knocks slightly when driving along. Now I had the car lowered about 6months ago, so I expect I am putting extra stress through the steering, but I pretty sure it isnt the steering rack or CV's, as its a different type of knocking. So I took to removing the plastics belowthe steering wheel and noticed that the joint on the tube (Is this the universal joint???) seemed to be making the noise. I greased this up as best I could, and it did seem to stop the noise. Unfortunately after a 2hour run down to Kent, it seemed to come back. So I re-packed it again, but it didnt resolve this 2nd time round. Thing is, the noise is not all the time!!!Im pretty sure it is this joint, or was it just coincidence???

Nathan

perhaps if the rack itself is making the noise, it will seem to be coming from that joint from inside the car as its directly connected to the rack?

What does the noise sound like? knocking is most likely going to be the balljoints on the suspension arms, and creaking is most often the rubber bushes on the suspension arms... If the arms havnet been changed recently then its quite likely they'll be suspect.

Well it is a dry noise, like dry rubber. The knock is very small. My old man said it was probably the track rod end, but upon looking at that, its like new and has no play at all??It does get worse when it has been running for a while, probably as it heats up.

Nathan

the rubber bushes in the control arms can creak when they get worn, which is exactly as you describe, dry rubber dragging against itself.

Its most noticable when turning from lock to lock when stationary usually. Get a tin of WD40 and spray each of the bushes in turn and see when the noise goes away to track it down. It might be worthwhile replacing the lot though, as if ones gone the rest will probably be past their best...

Cool, I will give that a go. Why does there have to be so many ****** bushes!!!I think im guna buy a go kart!

Thanks for the help, Ill let you know how i get on.......

Nathan

Mine has been making a noise intermittantly for a while now...

If you're stationary or very low speed and rock the steering wheel from side to side by an inch or so, there is a knock that can be felt through the pedals.

I too felt that it was coming from down near the universal joint... It is louder in the cabin than in the engine bay.

Any ideas?