1999 A4 Avant Boot light switch

Dave DND

DND Services Ltd
Reaction score
Website
www.dndservices.co.uk
Hi guys, newbie here, and apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn`t find the answer if it was.

The boot light in my Avant does not work when the tailgate is opened, but does switch on when you slide the switch at the light, so power is going to it. My initial thoughts are that a boot switch has gummed up, or a cable has fatigued somewhere.

To save endless hours searching, has anyone got any pointers for me please? Not even sure where the switch is ?

switch is built in to lock mechanism, mine failed and i found a replacement in scrappy, but im not sure if switch can be replaced on its own

switch is located on the catch and can't be replaced only as whole unit, did a b6 on friday new catch about the 25 quid mark, but first check its not the wires between the tailgate and the body and does your rear wash work properly? common fault is pipe pops off leaks onto switch then corrodes it. if it is the lock always check the pipe where it goes into the motor and i always put a couple of tywraps on to stop the pipe poping off, usually if the nozzle freezes

Yes, it was the boot catch itself - I removed mine, flooded it with WD40 and then blew it around with an airline - seems to have worked ever since.

I cannot see a way to get the switch out though, as it appears that the two halves of the catch are riveted together - if it fails again, it will be a trip to the parts dept I think.