LCD dead pixels, anyone used these guys?

Not heard of anyone using these guys, most people who have had the repair done have used BBA-Reman. Looks like LED-S's price is around the same. Worth emailing them both for a quote.

I've used BBA-Reman for an ABS ECU repair and highly recommend them as they had the repaired unit back to me within 3 days of me sending it.

As you will be unable to start the car when you send the dash cluster off, a quick turnaround is very important!

looks good, i was wondering about getting mine done - but isnt it tied into the imobiliser on the facelift cars? scared of them screwing it up - it could cost £100's to get audi to put it right!

it is tied to the immobiliser (well the immo unit is built into the instrument cluster) however its probably not something to be concerned about and can be fixed yourself with the vagtacho software should they knacker it and you require a new cluster...

Their website says this:

This is a very common problem its not related to a lose ribbon cable or the circuitboard design but the lcd screen it's self.

The above image shows the defect, we will replace the LCD display to a brand new one which is specially designed for the Audi, Vw range of cars, as shown below. Prices start from £150.

Surely we can find out where the screen comes from, RS components sell several LCD screens, one of them must fit...

Here for example: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/...unt=193&Ne=4294957561&N=4294767569+4294955787

Then it must just be a case of swapping the screen over, those of us with good soldering experience could easily do this for a fraction of the cost and hassle.

Why not purchase a replacement dash from a salvage yard and swap the DIS conponent over?
No messing about with the immo.....

Try the following contact, they break several cars per day and can post to anywhere in the UK. Have used them several times in the past and always been good.
Make sure you let them know the part number you want, also what age car it is needed for.

Overton Dismantlers
Overton Garage Ltd
off Dyce Drive
Aberdeen
Scotland AB21 0EQ
Tel: 00.44.1224.722354
Parts Fax: 00.44.1224.775451
General Fax:00.44.1224.722457
Email : sales@overtongarage.co.uk

Regards,
Jim.

i think that would be a waste of time as the DIS could be in a worse state than your existing one, also you still have the same soldering issues
you would have to de-sloder you old one and de-solder the scrappy one and re-solder to your existing one.
the main issue i think is the ribbon not the actual DIS screen itself?

this is a common problem with DIS i have a facelift 2000 year with the same issue, so even breaking from a later car would not avoid this.

:blink:

Surely we can find out where the screen comes from, RS components sell several LCD screens, one of them must fit...

Here for example: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/...unt=193&Ne=4294957561&N=4294767569+4294955787

Not that straight forward.

A buddy of mine looked into it a while back - you'll need to buy quite a few to make it worth while, he was told they would do a minimum of 25 units. Otherwise, it was going to cost him more to buy just one, to replace his, than it would cost to get it repaired by companies like have been listed here.

So, it'll be best to organise a group buy.

Problem is, with group buys, folk are all too keen to say "I do", till it comes to making their deposits, then it rapidly becomes long stories - my car needs new tyres, I need a new Garmin, my cat ate my dog etc etc.

Basically, the long version of, "not sure I can afford it."

@ RAS: The fault lies within the LCD panel itself, not the ribbon cable.

@ RAS: The fault lies within the LCD panel itself, not the ribbon cable.

thanks for clarifying Siena,:salute: wasnt sure that's why i put a '?'

still not worth buying a unit from a scrappy

good idea about a group buy, however as you say people can back out last minute and leave you holding the can.

Trying to to a group buy for 25 cars would be too difficult to organise, me thinks.
out of interest what's the Ballpark figure Siena?

mine is not that bad at the mo though

Can't remember the figure - it was in $.