Quattro tyre Question

Mr K

Reaction score
It has been mentioned to me that you have to watch out for the tyre wear and keep all the tyres about the same rolling radius to avoid damageing the diffs on 4 wheel drive car.

is this true?

If the car has a viscous coupled centre diff, like the haldex setup used in the golf/a3, running tyres that are unevenly matched could cause the fluid in the viscous coupling to overheat. This was quite a common issue with the 4x4 system in Vauxhall Cavalier and Calibras, although i'd expect a modern system like the haldex setup to react better to this.

The A4 quattro system however uses a proper differential in the centre, and wont be affected by differences in tyre tread depth.

Also, while on this topic, you should always have your grippiest (ie newest/most tread) tyres on the rear of the car.

in theory you will get transmission "wind up". where the front diff has "travelled further" than the rear.. happens in older landrovers quite a lot.
I find a damn good wheel spin will sort it out. wet roundabouts at 3am are always useful for "transmission release".

[note to the cyber nannies: I am not suggesting or responsible for any lairy behaviour nor do i condone or approve of such behaviour, any reference to lairy driving is for humour only and in no way an admission of illegal activity]

I find that the tyres on my quattro wear at the same rate in any case. Nice big bill everytime it needs tyres.

It has been mentioned to me that you have to watch out for the tyre wear and keep all the tyres about the same rolling radius to avoid damageing the diffs on 4 wheel drive car.

is this true?

There used to be a quote on audiworld.com relating to this, can't find it... one comment sticks in my mind.
'If it were such a serious issue then there'd probably be parts of transmissions laying all over the highways....'

I think this makes sense.

Occasionally it may be prudent take extra care when going round wet roundabouts at 3am to make sure that if there is any built up tension in the transmission that sliding, wheel spinning, or four wheel drifiting does not occur. Safety first.

[note to the cyber nannies: I am not suggesting or responsible for any lairy behaviour nor do i condone or approve of such behaviour, any reference to lairy driving is for humour only and in no way an admission of illegal activity]

jcb: the landrover windup issue only occurs if you drive around with the centre diff locked.

As the diff on the A4 cant be locked manually, and is open most of the time anyway windup doesnt occur. The whole point of a differential is to allow the different ends to turn at different speeds...

thats cool, thanks for the replies!