Alarm Honk when Arming

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So my '96 toots its horn when you lock the car. Its quite useful in that it lets you know all the doors are properly closed and the alarm is active.

Craig's 98 S4 however doesn't do it. It just locks, and a silly light comes on in the door card, it might also flash its indicators but thats not always visable.

I've had a look around and come across this: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB5.html which seems to suggest theres an adaption setting to REMOVE the honk (ie -1024 off the adaption value thats currently there...) however i dont know if i can do the opposite to add the honk?

Anyone tried this and had any success?

Aragorn, a lot of later cars had the horn deleted, though as Craigs car's a pre-facelift, I'm not sure if his is affected.

Have you taken a look at the horn in the n/s rear panel?
Early cars had the visual "armed" state show as a LED in the hazard lamp switch, later ones of course, had the LED's in the door cards, by the lock pins.

i recoded mine to honk, dreadfull sound hated it so removed it again, but should work if you try it

His has the lights in the door cards, but its just not as good an indicator that a toot from the horn.

I'll take a look in the rear quarter to see if the horn is there, could it be there but be faulty?

I think i'll try recoding it then? Did you just add 1024 to whatever value was there already?

35-Central Locks: -- KWP-1281
VAG-COM Works fine (note: pre-'97 A4's may not have this module).

Recode locking options

[Select]
[35 - Cent. Locks]
[Recode - 07]
Enter the coding below
[Do It!]

Write down the existing coding for future reference.

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03468

A4 pre-1998 with Delta radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 12172

A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio and anti-theft system
Standard Coding: 03340

S4, A4 1998+ with Concert/Symphony radio, anti-theft system and keyless entry
Standard Coding: 16140

Add the following options to your coding number:

+64 Windows up, sunroof close, and windows down with remote.
-04 One touch unlock of all 4 doors and trunk
-1024 Remove horn honk when arming
+32 Auto lock/unlock of doors (Doors lock at 15 mph and unlock when key is removed)

So, if you want to have a 1999 A4 with Concert radio and anti-theft system and keyless entry, and you want to add window control with the remote along with auto-lock, then:
add 03340+64+32= 03436

ye i linked to that above? but it says -1024 to remove honk and doesnt mention adding honk...

i'm guessing +1024 will add honk so i'll give that a try.

glad mine doesnt honk. goes against my stealthy nature!

on another note, I see you have listed a code for closing windows when it locks.
I can do this by holding the lock button down but does your code close windows with just one click as you would for normal locking?

My '96 honks. Mine has electrical gremlins operating the alarm though, so move along, nothing to see here...

My 98 S4 didn't honk, but now it does by using vagcom, although i wanna get round to turning it off, it is one pathetic little horn!

glad mine doesnt honk. goes against my stealthy nature!

on another note, I see you have listed a code for closing windows when it locks.
I can do this by holding the lock button down but does your code close windows with just one click as you would for normal locking?

No, you need to keep the remote button pressed until the windows/sunroof are closed...........
I've re-programmed mine to have all the convenience features (horn honk on arming / remote closure of windows and sunroof and autolocking) and wouldn't be without them now.
The standard factory setting of the indicators flashing when arming the alarm is lousy IMHO, I was forever double-checking to see if I'd actually locked the car......
The alarm-setting honk may sound a bit weedy but at least gives an audible confirmation that all the doors are securely closed and the darn thing is locked/alarmed..............

nessy: exactly, craigs always double checking the cars locked after pressing the button, an audiable notification is much easier to notice.

It is a small niggle, but its one of those annoying things having to keep looking back at the car to ensure it did actually lock.

I'll give it a bash with vagcom and see if it works!