S4 Tyres

Dan Yeates

Audi S4 B5 Avant
Reaction score
I've just had a full 4 wheel alignment done over at Christchurch tyre company in Dorset and it's time to change my front tyres, I think they're Michelin Pilot Sports, the guy at the garage said they're not heavy load and they've worn out, possibly because the previous owner drove with them under inflated.

So, what should I put on? I'm not tracking it or anything, just want a good all rounder that will take a bit of weight, I might be using the car to tow a 5.6m boat of around 1,000kg.

Thanks in advance..

Goodyear Eagle F1's get my vote, although be warned that they do wear out relatively quickly (10-15k) however they're pretty cheap and stick like **** to the proverbial blanket!

agree, have to say not a direct comparison as I have changed size but my Mich PS2's where awesome, but at £170 a corner I am not interested

Ok, thanks. I used to have Goodyear Eagle F1's on my old Celica and then again on my Vauxhall VX220, they seemed very good, but I was comparing them to worn out Bridgestone Potenzas. I didn't do, and still don't, very many miles so didn't get to find out how quickly they wear out.

The other question is the rears are ok, any problems changing just the fronts to a different brand?

i should point out that the fact your towing with it should have little bearing on the tyres.

The maximum noseweight on the tow ball is probably 50-100kgs anyway so the car will only be taking that much extra weight on the tyres while towing, the rest of the weight is being supported by the trailers tyres. And towing or not the cars maximum axle weight remains the same, and the tyres load index must meet that weight, so its not like you need to look for special "xtra load" tyres just because your towing, the tyres simply need to meet the cars requirements.

as for only changing one set, thats fine, but the new tyres should go on the rear, and you should move the rears to the front.

ye i'm sure 91 is enough, although you might want to check your vin plate to be sure.

I found that while the tyres were a lot cheaper at camskill/blackcircles/mytyres online, all the garages round this way wanted £15 a tyre to fit them. Once you add the £15 to the mytyres price it often becomes cheaper (or the same) to just get them from a local place, as they usually do the fitting for free when you buy the tyre from them.

Last time i baught they eagles, it was around £62 per tyre online, plus i'd then have to be in to collect them. The garage i ended up using wanted £75 a tyre with free fitting, which saved a couple quid. Time before that it went the other way a little bit (i baught them online and it did work out a few quid cheaper), but again, hassle involved in waiting around for the tyres etc.

You just need to make the comparison and see what you come up with.

Glad someone at last agrees with me, that new tyres should always go on the rear, regardless of drive configuration.

Siena: i've been beating that drum for a while ;)

I guess the only possible scenario it might not apply is if the pair of worn tyres are nice and sticky and the new ones are DitchFinders™. In that case you might be better off with the sticky but more worn tyres on the rear. But you'd also have to be dumb to do that in the first place!