To joey mod or not to joey mod, that is the question...

voteforpedro

Reaction score
I finally managed to pry off the lenses from my facelift headlights to clean inside - they were off eBay and had obviously been left outside for some time as there was some nice green and yellow residue settled at the bottoms of the housing.

So, while I'm at it, should I spray the unimportant reflective bits matt black? Anybody done it before? Any pics?

Your post regarding the grill prompted me to do a search for other dechromed grills and in doing so I found this.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=30805&highlight=black+lights

On a A3 but may be helpful. I had a silver mk3 mondeo with black lights and they looked great, best bit about the car! Re-sealing is the key bit. I also added angel eyes to a 3series once and could never get them resealed so they were always fogged up.

ive done it to mine, i recon they look much better, although i wish i'd used black paint instead of anthracite, so they were a bit darker inside. I chose anthracite as i planned to paint the wheels and chrome grille surround that color too.

http://lr90.org/Audi/lights

There are some pics there you can take a look at.

ive done it to mine, i recon they look much better, although i wish i'd used black paint instead of anthracite, so they were a bit darker inside. I chose anthracite as i planned to paint the wheels and chrome grille surround that color too.

http://lr90.org/Audi/lights

There are some pics there you can take a look at.

I'd seen yours already! It looks good but I want to see some more pics on other cars before I decide. :)

how did you get the lights apart? ive got a mount broken on mine ive got a spare but lense is scratched so it would be great to swap them around

how did you get the lights apart? ive got a mount broken on mine ive got a spare but lense is scratched so it would be great to swap them around

With great difficulty... You're supposed to bend the plastic lip back to get access to the glue, but after snapping the lip in a few places I decided to pull the whole lip off. :) It should be OK once fitted - I will just glue it down then chuck some silicone along the seam.

Basically, use a screwdriver to bend the lip up (or bend it off) all the way around the edge of the lens. Then get the screwdriver under the edge of the lens and you will see the glue start to unstick. Do this all the way around the lens and it's off. Takes a while though...

i used hairdryer and lots of patience. you need to go round the lamp a few times to get it all bent up. If you google for "audi a4 joey mod" you should find a site (a4mods.com?) that has a good guide for the B6, that works just fine on the B5 lamps.

I was thinking something like this:

IP-3721.jpg

The edge around the projector lens is left silver and looks pretty sweet.