tool kit contents?

electricracer

Reaction score
for the first time recently had to put spare tyre on when i got the tool kit out from the wheel it had a jack and a wheelbrace that didnt fit, luckily i was at home just swapping wheels over so didnt matter. but i obviously need a full toolkit, just so i know what should be in it?(pics??) there seems to be an awful lot of empty slots in the foam, and does anybody have a spare kit they would sell?

if youve got an avant with foam wheel well container you should have
jack (useless emergency only!)
brace (ive got loads if you want one)
10/13mm spanner
nut cover remover or centre cap remover
reversable screwdriver (some have a 17mm socket for refitting bolts)
locking wheel nut adaptor
and the usefull plastic thing that screws into hub so you can line up holes
theres also space for a detachable towing arm

not sure why they only fitted the spare wheel kit to avants, saloons get a rubbish bag but most a3's seem to have them

yes its an avant ive got the foam and a jack thats it wheel brace dosent go down holes in wheel. looks like my mission is to get all these things

are you saying a3s have this full kit?

ave got feck all in mine incl a 19 steel spare *** a spare 18" alloy is on route but takes 2 weeks thanks to DHL

Why bother trying to get the official audi parts? they're largely useless or ***** anyway...

Get yourself a breaker bar and 17mm socket for the wheel nuts or a wheel spider, the rest of the bits are largely pointless as far as i can tell? Barring perhaps the little tool to remove the caps, but they're not exactly hard to remove by hand?

As for the screwdriver/spanner, your not really going to get anything useful done with those anyway, but if you feel the need to have them in the boot, take some spares from your tool box and lob them in.

have you got a non audi brace or aftermarket wheels?
i think all audi's come with tools that would fill your gaps, but i found a full foam container in an old scrap a3 so there probably all fitted with one, just wondered why pre facelift a4 saloons get a rubbish tool bag

ive got a spare brace, screwdriver (with socket for refitting bolts) nut cap remover, spanner, screw in wheel alignment tool and audi fuse puller if your interested

2 of the hole/wheel alignment tools are pretty usefull if you have spacers and i couldnt get the nut caps of with my fingers as there recessed
i also need the spanner for my valve caps

i think its always nice to have the original set if possible the most essential being the towing eye, olds kool pm any prices you have in mind will be going to scrappy next week anyway for other bits but if unsuccessful may have them off you

I've got the full foam-mounted toolkit in my Avant as well as a telescopic wheel wrench (with reversible 17mm/19mm socket on the end) and the plastic removal tool for the wheelbolt caps....
The extending wheel wrench is a great piece of kit IMHO and was only about £3 IIRC from Lidl, carry one in all my cars..........
The wheelbolt cap removal tool was less than £1 from my local main stealer and is essential to get wheelbolt caps off on wheels with heavily recessed bolts, like the Competition alloys ........

i've never had a problem getting the caps off of the standard 16" sport alloys on our car, but the wheel bolts do look a bit worn which might go some way to explaining it!

Any ideas how much new bolts cost? I've been thinking about buying a set of new bolts and new caps for them for a while now, but i suspect its the kinda thing thats stupidly overpriced from the dealer!

mine has a coilover C Spanner and removeable Westfalia tow bar in it!

as above though, apart from the palstic tweezers to take nut caps off most of it is crap I wouldn't rely on!