Broken electric window

dieselfitter251

Blow ma own trumpet?
Reaction score
Just investigated why my drivers window doesn't move any more...
..The tension cable has broken... looks more like rusted through, there's no sign of corrosion on the inside of the door so it must just be 233k worth of moisture.
Has anybody attempted to fix this type of porblem. Looks like an absolute pain in the ****...
I'm considering three fixes.
1)Do nothing
2)Revert to a manual winder - 'tho I don't think the B5 ever even had a manual unit on the front.
3)Get a new door. Which could be the best option as this door has a good bit of rust on it....

Any input chaps?:uhm:

I might have my old pre-facelift front doors, doesn't help your window issue though.

It is fiddly, yes.

I've never had to repair one in a B5, but from my Audi 80 / 90 / 100 / Coupe / S2 days, it sucked big hairy balls trying to replace the cable.

I just fitted working used ones, and they worked fine.

When my cable broke, rusted through like yours, on my 1998 s4 you couldn't get just the cable, had to buy a whole window mechanism because the plastic parts are all sealed, think the motor and electrics all got swapped over, still cost me around 90 odd quid though. Not too bad a job though, once the door card is off the whole guts of the doors come out after undoing 4 big bolts, it's all on one big frame including the window frame, just leaves the painted door skin, once this is all of the car it's easy enough to get to the parts and swap what you need.

^^^ Way to go, you can't beat a bolt-in solution.

Cable repairs are messy, and mostly unsuccessful long term.

Sounds like a bargain!