Another B5 down

Just put a 12v feed to the valve and if it diverts the air when you blow through the valve you know its working. I have a few spare valves and a normal TIP with pancake breather still on it, your welcome to it if its needed, I could send them over with the turbo.

Wicked,
Pancake goosed
N75 doesnt operate, **** !!
Will need to take you up on the offer Andy, N75 and the Pancake with the turbo and oil lines if thats ok, can include additional postage to cover etc

Yeh thats cool, just got to wait for the ok from Alpine as to when i can get the turbos and oil lines. Do you need a stock TIP?

Mark ring me so I can see what I have for you plus need the picture of the other part we talked about as I'm not sure what the other part is.

I also have the pancake ting and a Autobahn88 TIP if need be was going to try and fit it on my B6 but I think your need is greater than mine right now.

A little update
Hood sound deadener
turbofailiure001.jpg

Intercooler drying out. he he
turbofailiure003.jpg

Damage to the turbo housing
turbofailiure004.jpg

****** cracked wastegate seat, so i guess that means my machined "X" housing is FUBAR'd
turbofailiure005.jpg

Yes drying out after we washed it at the car wash and i nearly took marks hand off with the pressure washer :haha:.

Fair play I have never seen so much waste oil!!! It was dribbling out of the intercooler like a good un!! and various other parts of the car which (although i dont know much about cars) it probally should not be coming from.

Bless the poor thing she look so sad sat in the car park but she will live again :happy:

Well i have Alpine's old turbo sitting in my van as i collected everything off him today. Also sorted out the pancake valve and a boost valve from my shed for you.

Gimmi a chance to move into my new place and then ill sort the turbo out as currently its x-threaded on to the manifold, but i think i will be able to either re-thread or helicoil a new thread. The exhaust housing is free from cracks and the play in the shaft is minimal so should be an alright turbo for a few thousand miles yet.:yes:

Well i have Alpine's old turbo sitting in my van as i collected everything off him today. Also sorted out the pancake valve and a boost valve from my shed for you.

Gimmi a chance to move into my new place and then ill sort the turbo out as currently its x-threaded on to the manifold, but i think i will be able to either re-thread or helicoil a new thread. The exhaust housing is free from cracks and the play in the shaft is minimal so should be an alright turbo for a few thousand miles yet.:yes:

give you 1 guess who X -thread`d it too!

Sorry mate, ill prob do the work on it on Monday i would have thought, its off the manifold now, just trying to fit it all in with moving. :salute:

Wicked, i wasnt pushing, just wanted an idea as i am having a few housing issues down here and it looks like i need to move the car sooner than i thought etc

I think in the meantime i am gonna stick my old oil burner on so she can be moved to an as yet unknown location as sadly it looks like we lose the hostel at any time. What a fecking year !!!!

I stuck my old turbo in to see how it went as the council want us out, but sadly i think while its been layed up the seals have dried up, as soon as its loaded up she smokes, how much more ***** must i endure??

So i await the arrival of the turbo from Andy B to hopefully get her moving again. I took the cap off the engine with it running and there is a small amount of blowby gasses but not enough to indicate further engine damage, hence why i assume it the turbo at fault. I know the one Andy has to be a good unit so fingers crossed

I stuck my old turbo in to see how it went as the council want us out, but sadly i think while its been layed up the seals have dried up, as soon as its loaded up she smokes, how much more ***** must i endure??

So i await the arrival of the turbo from Andy B to hopefully get her moving again. I took the cap off the engine with it running and there is a small amount of blowby gasses but not enough to indicate further engine damage, hence why i assume it the turbo at fault. I know the one Andy has to be a good unit so fingers crossed

You should become an illegal immigrant.. you'd get houses, tvs, cars and all sorts!! This country is an F'in mess!

I hope everything gets sorted for you mate.

Thanks Lee, me too. If i smoked or drunk i would be ok i expect as you allowed to spend your excess cash on that, but not on a car as its classed as un neccesary to own the type of cars we have. What a crazy world !!!

One sec you are getting kicked out because you have a nice car!!!

So what about all these people that have sprogs every where smoke and drink all day and live off the dole? :think:

One sec you are getting kicked out because you have a nice car!!!

So what about all these people that have sprogs every where smoke and drink all day and live off the dole? :think:

More or less yeah !! They recon that we made ourselves intentionaly homeless and had a big F*** folder with posts made on here and print offs from our ebay etc, and used those to prove i spent on the cars instead of the mortgage etc. We were too deep in to save it with a few £ and we also had no way to keep it going had we payed it once or even twice.

He actually said we didnt need the type of cars we have as they are un neccesary. But we dont smoke or drink, i bet i would be allowed to spend £100 per week going out and smoking !!!

Sorry to rant but i am so fecking angry at the mo, i may even have to sell one of the cars in the next few months to pay a bond or what ever on a private rented house

MODS, sorry if this isnt the right place to have this, but it is kinda related and its my thread

Thats ******* mental. What ****** right does some cunting council worker have to tell you what kind of car you drive.

At the end of the day, you'd spend more money buying a newer crappy car (fiesta or clio or somesuch) once you factor in the depreciation etc, than buying an older car like an A4 and spending a bit on doing it up/maintaining it...

Feel for ya mate :(

Thanks Andy,appreciated

And to all that have helped it is appreciated, have a merry Christmas guys, will update when i can

Mark, where abouts in the UK are you. Is the car tow able ? If your up north let me know and I'll come and give you a tow to somewhere you can store your motor.

he is in wales, south wales i think

Thanks for the offer i appreciate it !!

She is currently kinda movable as i stuck my old K03 on the fill the void between the engine and the exhaust as i wasnt sure how quickly i would need to move the car due the circumstances etc.

I am hoping now that most of the parts donated arrive she will live again. As for housing, i am not sure, maybe get into the private sector somehow.

Good to hear they got there in one piece. I think you may be able to save that thread on the turbo by just going easy with the bolt and alot of wd40 or copper slip... I would have tapped all 3 out for you but with time being tight on both our parts sadly it couldnt be done :(

Hope all the gear fits well and makes the ol girl run again :)

yea all the best Mark and Stacie WISHING YOU A HAVE A GREAT 2009 lets face it it cant get any worse.... i hope.

HEALTH WEALTH AND HAPPINESS!​

Ok so she now has the K03 fitted from Alpine via AndyB with the actuator from Docurleys K03s ( didnt want to risk the play mate) I have used an OEM TiP for now with the pancake valve from Doc and the N75 from AndyB and she is alive again, no smoke anymore but hot danm she is slow now,lol But she is mobile reliably.

I also stuck a loom in from a similar aged Passat rather than patch up the burnt sections as i was concerned how much damage may have been underlying from the heat etc.

Just to be sure i swapped the oil feed pipe and thats good, i even dropped the oil filter housing to make sure the valve was not loose or missing, it was unscrewed a turn or two but nothing serious, so i cleaned it, a dab of loctite and retightened.

I have had word back about my original turbo and it sounds like i have done a thorough job on destroying it.

I am sure sean wont mind me posting this

Email from Sean Kinch from Scroll products

Photos of the carcass, from the looks of it the only items left salvageable are the wastegate valve and bearing housing all others are toast.

This turbo did not fail from a loose lock-nut, the damage looks to be an "overspin". Our guess
would be this turbo ran hard and literally exploded. The turbine shaft parted ways with the compressor wheel exactly where the shaft/thrust assembly ends. The broken portion of the shaft is still inside the compressor wheel and did not give way.

K03/04 compressor wheels require a gas torch to expand the material prior to mating with the turbine shaft. After pressing the two components together the compressor alloy cools the two are bonded. Normally if the compressor lock-nut does turn off the compressor wheel stays fixed, this did not happen.

We can build another "outlaw" replacement although I ran into a glitch with your turbine manifold. Look at the pictures and see the turbine shaft, it made a new bore size 1mm larger than the original opening.

CIMG6076.jpg

CIMG6081.jpg

CIMG6082.jpg

CIMG6085.jpg

Oh and on the other "issue" we have a new meeting with a different council person after the area manager read our "detailed complaint letter"

so we shall see what apertains

i notice a bit up there you said it was a bit smokey with the spare k03 fitted.

With the amount of oil that ended up in your exhaust system, its going to be smokey for a while, not from the engine, but simply from the oil in the exhaust burning off.

Their failure diagnosis doesnt really make any sense from how you describe it happened, a turbine shaft failure from overspeed would usually only occur if the motor was under load (ie full throttle). I'm sure you said you were driving at part throttle when it happened...

Unless the fatigue on the shaft from the turbo being run too fast for a long period of time finally gave out? The other possibility would be a faulty dump valve, causing the shaft to be taking a lot of shock loading from the compressor stall that would have resulted... Have you had compressor stall chatter from the motor recently?

also, if your still on your k04 map, i'd temporarily bypass the N75 valve, run the boost line directly to the actuator on the turbo (unplugging the N75 might actually have the same effect). Otherwise your map will be trying to make the little k03 generate a ton of boost which could kill it...

No i am on a std K03 chipped tune, dont worry already on that.lol

I have swapped the old smokey one out, it was smoking on overun and tickover even 300miles later so i assume the crap thats in the system will have burnt out by then.

I was really pushing it just before it gave out, full boot of tools, 3 adults and a heavy right foot with tall gearing probably put huge strain on it. And had dropped to traffic/city speeds .
I wouldnt know what compressor stall sounded like tbh, how would i identify it? Tho i am sure my DV is working fine, it certainly still greased up and holding vacuum etc

compressor stall is what you hear most people describing as "wastegate chatter" its a kinda fluttery "cha cha cha cha cha" sound.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5uDe5fmGQ

you hear an example of it in that video when the car passes the camera.

The problem is that unlike its innocuous sounding "wastegate chatter" name that people often use, its infact caused by the throttle closing the and compressed air having nowhere to go other than back out the compressor the wrong way, the cha cha noise is the compressor chopping up the air thats passing thru it the wrong way, and this causes the compressor to stop very rapidly. A beefy T3 or T34 on a cossie will handle it just fine, but the puny shaft on the K03/04 wont.

Ah right, none of that noise going on, in fact the DV is nicely quiet if i am honest .Its a hyperboost Alloy jobbie, been on the car for ages.

Thanks for the linky tho, its appreciated.

wicked mark im glad your motors mobile again! :) may my Turbo live on!! lol