Seat Change Avant into a Saloon

g60leigh

Reaction score
I know I have seen some notes on this before but cannot find them now. (On a poor mobile connection)
I have a leather interior from an avant I am going ti fit into my saloon, can anyone give me some tips for installing the top part of the rear bench?
everything else is dead straightforward I know

Thanks

I got 2 bendy pieces of metal (1 for each side) made up from A.N.Other local engineering/metalwork firm to fit some avant fixing bolts to. Never made up any specs other than a folded up cereal box with biro measurements made on it, but it's been solid as anything.

Pretty straight forward when you see what you need to remove and what the avant needs. Just bolted mine to the same place as the Saloon fixtures.

how did you get your rear seat out? I think I need to remove the headrest guides as these secure the top of the back cushion but they seem solid, any handy tips/techiniques
do I need to cut some of the metal work out from behind the seat back then?

cheers

My previous seats already had the 60/40 split, so it was really easy. Thinik it may be more compicated if you've got the fixed rear seats.

is your saloon a quattro? if not theres a bit more to it as you wont have any mounting brackets or holes to mount them

non quattro saloons all have fixed back seats, quattro and avants have split folding

leigh i remember byzan posting up how he did it if you can find it

but you need the centre mounting bracket and two end pins and a way of fixing them to the shell, then original fixed back needs removing and upper latch mounts would need fabricating, thats if you want the seats to fold, might be easier to just permantly fix them in place somehow

mine are currently solid back, I am not at all bothered about them folding so just need to work out how to get the current back off and am going to see how I can mount them

any tips to get the current one off?

easy, remove the bottom squab, then look just below the backrest and you will see 2 little torx headed screws, undo them and the rear will slide up off its 3 mounting lugs ta da !!

easy, remove the bottom squab, then look just below the backrest and you will see 2 little torx headed screws, undo them and the rear will slide up off its 3 mounting lugs ta da !!

Thanks mate
I thought I had to remove the headrest guides some how first

i stand corrected, very rare though mustve been an expensive option on fwd saloons and standard on quattros

UPDATE:
to remove the back seats I had to gently pry out the guides from the rear head rests and remove the screws on the bottom mounting brackets then the seat pad pulls forward and off.

The bottom seat pad from the avant clips in in normal way.
the back pads are going to be screwed into place through the rear firewall and the side bolsters are clippid in place on the bottom and have tie wrapped the top mount of the bolster to the fire wall and secures perfectly witout being able to see the tie wrap

sport and Se models are higher spec hence the split.

My 98.5 se didnt have split seats as std, it has now tho,lol

Sorry Leigh, i forgot all about the headrest guides, well spotted