Volks AutosChris Nott
    5th Gear

Status

Seat Change Avant into a Saloon

I know I have seen some notes on this before but cannot find them now. (On a poor mobile connection)
    I have a leather interior from an avant I am going ti fit into my saloon, can anyone give me some tips for installing the top part of the rear bench?
    everything else is dead straightforward I know

Thanks

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I got 2 bendy pieces of metal (1 for each side) made up from A.N.Other local engineering/metalwork firm to fit some avant fixing bolts to. Never made up any specs other than a folded up cereal box with biro measurements made on it, but it's been solid as anything.

Pretty straight forward when you see what you need to remove and what the avant needs. Just bolted mine to the same place as the Saloon fixtures.
    Mo power, mo problems

5th Gear

Status
    how did you get your rear seat out? I think I need to remove the headrest guides as these secure the top of the back cushion but they seem solid, any handy tips/techiniques
    do I need to cut some of the metal work out from behind the seat back then?

cheers

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

6th Gear

Status
    My previous seats already had the 60/40 split, so it was really easy. Thinik it may be more compicated if you've got the fixed rear seats.
    Mo power, mo problems

5th Gear

Status
    is your saloon a quattro? if not theres a bit more to it as you wont have any mounting brackets or holes to mount them

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by olds_kool View Post
    is your saloon a quattro? if not theres a bit more to it as you wont have any mounting brackets or holes to mount them
    Mo power, mo problems

5th Gear

Status
    no mate just 2wd
    what else will be needed?

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Thunder View Post

non quattro saloons all have fixed back seats, quattro and avants have split folding

leigh i remember byzan posting up how he did it if you can find it

but you need the centre mounting bracket and two end pins and a way of fixing them to the shell, then original fixed back needs removing and upper latch mounts would need fabricating, thats if you want the seats to fold, might be easier to just permantly fix them in place somehow

3rd Gear

Status
    my t sport non quattro and has split folding seats

5th Gear

Status
    mine are currently solid back, I am not at all bothered about them folding so just need to work out how to get the current back off and am going to see how I can mount them

any tips to get the current one off?

2001 S3 (AMK)

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    easy, remove the bottom squab, then look just below the backrest and you will see 2 little torx headed screws, undo them and the rear will slide up off its 3 mounting lugs ta da !!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    easy, remove the bottom squab, then look just below the backrest and you will see 2 little torx headed screws, undo them and the rear will slide up off its 3 mounting lugs ta da !!
    Thanks mate
    I thought I had to remove the headrest guides some how first

2001 S3 (AMK)

98 A4 1.8SE

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    my t sport non quattro and has split folding seats
    yeah, my '98 1.8 SE has split folding seats, too. maybe it's something they brought in on facelift cars?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post
    yeah, my '98 1.8 SE has split folding seats, too. maybe it's something they brought in on facelift cars?
    mine is 96 t sport so pre-facelift

5th Gear

Status
    i stand corrected, very rare though mustve been an expensive option on fwd saloons and standard on quattros

5th Gear

Status
    UPDATE:
    to remove the back seats I had to gently pry out the guides from the rear head rests and remove the screws on the bottom mounting brackets then the seat pad pulls forward and off.

The bottom seat pad from the avant clips in in normal way.
    the back pads are going to be screwed into place through the rear firewall and the side bolsters are clippid in place on the bottom and have tie wrapped the top mount of the bolster to the fire wall and secures perfectly witout being able to see the tie wrap

2001 S3 (AMK)

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    sport and Se models are higher spec hence the split.

5th Gear

Status
    mine is a sport model mate, no split!?

2001 S3 (AMK)

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    My 98.5 se didnt have split seats as std, it has now tho,lol

Sorry Leigh, i forgot all about the headrest guides, well spotted