brake binding problem / abs light problem

brendan

98 A4 1.8SE
Reaction score
one of my rear calipers is binding badly - it first happened a while ago, and although i managed to free it up then, the problem is back.

is the only solution to replace the caliper, or are repair/seal kits worth using? it needs to be done, i reckon it's costing me >10% on fuel consumption, not to mention all the crap on me wheel! i suppose the cost of a new caliper would be about £60?

i will be putting new discs & pads on at the same time. are the abs sensor rings readily available / cheap? since i put new discs on a couple of years ago, the abs light comes on when i go over 80mph. the sensor rings were a little grotty back then so i imaging they'll be ready for replacing. (i assume it's the sensor ring causing the problem, as what was the only thing that i disturbed when changing discs, iirc)

i did this on mine when we baught the car at the start of the year

Started off with one binding caliper, and i changed the caliper (about £60 exchange) both disks and the pads, didnt realise at that point i needed the ABS rings though. So i ordered them up and after installing them the caliper on the other side seemed to start sticking, badly. So i replaced it too, and it was still sticking. Turned out one of the sliders was bent which was holding the caliper at some jaunty angle hence the binding on that side :(

You'll need new wheel bearings while your there, as the bearings are inside the disks and i wouldnt be reusing them. The sensors are dealer only, but not too expensive, around a tenner each. The rest of the parts i baught from my local factors. Disks were about 20 each and pad set was about 15. Bearings were 7 quid each.