Exporting A B5 To The US?

Siena

Reaction score
Does anyone have any definitive knowledge on this?

I'm referring to federalization, which needs to be done prior to registration..

Anyone have any ideas on this?

There's a guy on audizine, sparkyvw, on a few ther sites too, he brought his S4 over from the states for a while, he may have an idea nice helpful fellow! Failing that try a post on audizine maybe? they're mostly in the US anyway.

are you american then, siena? i sort-of gathered you are from the language (e.g. "rotors")

Brendan, not American, no, though I've held a US passport since 1993, in addition to my British one.

My girlfriend however is AA, and though she doesn't mind living in the UK, I'm considering us moving to the states.

The export stuff's way too complicated right now, so may sell Outlaw come 2010, by which time, she'll be a S8-powered beast, and do a B7 RS4 in the US.

Nothing's decided yet though.

not worth it IMO, cost of converting everything to conform with federalization the stricter emmisions and everything else would be a pain, and then you have a RHD car over there. different story bringing them over here.
sell it here and buy something much better and cheaper in the US.

The RHD isn't an issue - there are lots of RHD cars in the US.

The emissions on the B5 isn't an issue either - I received an email this morning from a registered importer. It also gives a list of cars that don't require a lot to be federalized, and the B5 is amongst them.

I'd have to replace the bumpers with US ones, as well as headlamps with amber corners. Once federalized and registered, I can replace my current items. Been advised to not fit the S8 motor untill she's been federalized and registered.

A lot of states don't have a smog test, Arizona and Maine being a couple of them. In these states, all that is required is that the car does not show a CEL.

In some other states, all that's done is the OBD is read to check Lambda.

Interestingly, a lot of the boys register their cars in ststes that don't do a proper smog test, and most of these guys are running open test pipes in place of their catalysts.

The RHD isn't an issue - there are lots of RHD cars in the US.

its not an issue to them but would be a massive issue to me. I would never have a LHD here
almost impossible to get a decent view to overtake on an A road

I get you with regards to the RHD issue.

But I'm fine with it, I've also owned LHD cars here, and had no issues with overtaking.

But, different folk, different strokes.

Move to St. Thomas mon!! U.S.V.I. They drive on the left there, used to be a Brit colony.... nice weather to if you don't mind the occasional hurricane, oh, and the cruise ships passengers, erm and the dutch, not much wrong with them really, and being stuck on an island....which is like the uk! only smaller?.. don't know where I'm going with this...
oh yeah, they drive on left!