spacer question?

Littlebear

Reaction score
Sorry to ask, but can anyone tell me if fitting 8mm spacers to my Quattro system will have any detrimental effect on the bearings etc.... i have been advised not to use spacers, but at this point don't have much of an option.

Thanks in advance.

as long as you use hub centric spacers everything will be fine as the will have no movement on the hub whats so ever and 8mm isnt alot compared to some of the 20mm and bigger kits i have to sell for cars with daft offsets

I ran 15mm hubcentrics for a year with no problem, now have 5mm with a different set of rims, so as long as you buy decent quality you won't have a problem

Thanks thats what i thought but being a noob to the car mod world, your feedback is much appreciated.

cheers guys, have found a set of 8mm H+R in the classifieds doing the deal as we speak. 8mm is the widest i want to go as i dont like the wheels sticking out from under the wheel arch. Still need two more though?

15mm will have you at the edge depending on tyre choice, but stock rims and tyre will accept a 10mm with plenty of space.

and I have four for sale :)

jcb:
how much spacer required to take it to the arch edge will depend on the width and offset of the rim...

You should be aiming to keep the wheels offset as close as possible to the original design to reduce the adverse handling changes that occur from lowering it, i certainly wouldnt want to run any wheels lower than an ET35 combined offset (ie spacers and wheel offset together) as you will affect the handling, tyre wear and bearing life even at that level, and the more you move it, the more pronounced the negatives will be.

Unfortunately on a B5 the room on the inside is tight, so its often a requirement to lower the offset to get larger rims on the car. But at the same time i feel that people dont pay enough attention to keeping the geometry as close to stock as it should be, ie by buying 8.5" rims when 8" versions are available in the same design and suchlike.

If 8mm gives him enough room, then he shoudl be sticking with the 8mm's not going up to 10's

Don't forget you'll need extended wheel bolts to go with the spacers.

I'm running 12mm BBS spacers, have been on the car for about 10,000 miles without any problems.

jcb:

I feel that people dont pay enough attention to keeping the geometry as close to stock as it should be, ie by buying 8.5" rims when 8" versions are available in the same design and suchlike.

Thanks for all your input guys, I am keen to keep it all stock and the 18" Avus just fill the arches enough so i wont have to lower her, and keep it looking original.

i think the stock Audi 18" avus rims are 18X8" so thats perfectly fine, and as you've discovered you need the spacers to get them on, but again, as long as you stick to only as much spacer as you need to get them on, you'll be good.

jcb: :p

ending at 8.20pm tonight.
only at £70.
thats a £190 product for less than half price....brand new.......come on ......I have two kids to feed.....

Get bidding......

:)