V6 engine questions!

Sunbeam Fanatic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I own an A8 and am a great fan of the Audi drive train, to the extent that I'm looking into using the V6 2WD engine and gearbox as a swap into another car I have ............. :yum:

So, I was hoping some of you guys could help with a bit of initial information re. the V6 Engine/gearbox.

1) What is the angle of the V?
2) How wide & deep is the sump (to the point where it bolts to the block)?
3) What is the distance from the very front of the engine (whatever item is furthest forward) to where the driveshafts exit the gearbox?

Also, and sorry to show my ignorance of these engines, but was the B5 V6 only produced in 24valve or was a 30valve version also produced?

Thanks for any help.

SF

1) 90 degrees
2) Can measure mine
3) Can measure mine

B5 V6 was produced as a 12V '95 - 07/'97, 08/'97> as a 30V.

I take it the recipient car isn't an Audi...:ninja:

1) 90 degrees
2) Can measure mine
3) Can measure mine

B5 V6 was produced as a 12V '95 - 07/'97, 08/'97> as a 30V.

I take it the recipient car isn't an Audi...:ninja:

Thank you, It'd be great to hear what you find out re. 2) & 3), I'll be looking out for a 30v donor then:icon_thumright:

And the recipient will be a .............. 1970 Lotus Europa S2, I've seen this engine and gearbox transplanted into an Esprit (I think is was an S2 or S3, certainly a pre-turbo car) so with my mechanic friend we hatched a plan for my Europa. The in line 2WD config. suits it just fine!

As much as I'd like to go V8 I think the engine/box combo. would prove too long, also I didn't think it would be possible to get a V8 easily mated to a 2WD transaxle?

Thanks for the help, look forward to seeing what measurements you come up with.

Cheers,

SF

The V8 bolts to both the 2WD and 4WD transmission, auto or manual.

The manual tranny's are generic - in that the bolt pattern is split into 2:

The inner PCD for I4 engines.

The outer PCD for I5, V6, V8 and V10 engines.

theres a big thread on motorgeek about a guy trasplanting the ABZ V8 into an early esprit:

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The V8 is actually quite a short motor, its only about 500mm long from front pulley to the bellhousing flange, which is shorter than a lot of 4 pots! Not sure how this compares to a V6, but i doubt theres all that much in it!

Yup, that's the same guy from the Lotus Esprit Forum I use (I have a S1), my mistake I thought it was the V6 he used! I've seen the finished car, looks good I obviously wasn't paying too close attention to the actual engine!

The Europa engine bay is a little more cramped than the Esprit but not much, do you know if the sump on the V6 is off at an angle like the V8?

My own A8 is the V8 version and I think it's fantastic for a large car, the V6 in my little Europa should be pretty interesting, I think it weighs even less than the Esprit!

Cheers,

SF

In case you are interested I just checked the kerb weight and the S2 Europa weighs in at about 700kg and had 96bhp, should be an interesting conversion.

Cheers,

SF

heh well using the 200hp 2.8 30v V6 should give you a bhp/ton figure of around 290 which is going to be rather interesting!

As a comparison, Ferarri 550 Maranello has around 288bhp/ton and a 996 GT3 RS has around 286bhp/ton. Quick methinks.

Saying that though, the 300hp V8 would put you to around 435bhp/ton, which is Porsche Carrera GT/Ferarri F50/Pagani Zonda territory ;)

Tasty!

heh well using the 200hp 2.8 30v V6 should give you a bhp/ton figure of around 290 which is going to be rather interesting!

As a comparison, Ferarri 550 Maranello has around 288bhp/ton and a 996 GT3 RS has around 286bhp/ton. Quick methinks.

Saying that though, the 300hp V8 would put you to around 435bhp/ton, which is Porsche Carrera GT/Ferarri F50/Pagani Zonda territory ;)

Tasty!

If I went the V8 route I think my eyeballs would be on stalks the whole time:ohmy:, those cars also have the benefits of modern aerodynamics and electronics, I think I'd be in a whole world of trouble So I think the V6 is likely to be plenty enough fun!

It's a good way of creating a car that retains its historic look and charachter but which doesn't need the constant maintenance and servicing. I'm using a Spaceframe chassis with adjustable tubular suspension and which also allows better hubs and brakes. Engine fitment should be pretty straightforward once I've learnt a bit more from you guys about the engine & gearbox combinations so I buy the right donor in the first place.

I'm concious this is an Audi forum and not a Lotus forum but I'll post a few pics when I get into the conversion and I do own an A8 V8 so I hope I qualify!

Cheers,

SF

I'm sure you "qualify" just fine. Quite a few of us on here like our alternative projects.

I for one have an ABZ V8 that i plan to fit to a Landrover 90. I decided i wanted the V8 rumble without using the crappy rover engine, and settled on the Audi lump as its cheap and powerful! Its kinda on hold at the moment though due to lack of funds (christmas is approaching) and lack of premises to work on it. Been trying for months to find a suitable workshop locally, but nothings come up as of yet :(

I'm sure you "qualify" just fine. Quite a few of us on here like our alternative projects.

I for one have an ABZ V8 that i plan to fit to a Landrover 90. I decided i wanted the V8 rumble without using the crappy rover engine, and settled on the Audi lump as its cheap and powerful! Its kinda on hold at the moment though due to lack of funds (christmas is approaching) and lack of premises to work on it. Been trying for months to find a suitable workshop locally, but nothings come up as of yet :(

I have a 1971 SIIA SWB pick up Landy with the Rover V8 which is LPG converted, so far so good, free road tax, about £75 p.a. for insurance (on my collectors policy) and parts are pretty cheap, not sure the original Landy 4WD would handle the Audi V8:unsure: but it'd be fun trying!

I have a spare 1998 S8 lump......

Now it's just not fair tempting me like that! If it came as part of a complete car it'd be very interesting (at the right price), as is the way with these things it's always better to start with a complete donor as you never know what widget or piece of wiring or sensor you are going to need to make it work properly!

Cheers,

SF

Here it is take it away....74,000 miles before it hit a pub.
The trim has been sold plus a few minor items
s81.jpg

well torque breaks gearboxes, and the V8 does put out a little more than the stock derv, but not by a lot.

The R380 is rated to 380NM, abz puts down around 400NM, chipped TD5's make around 400nm too and they seem to be fine. I suspect that with the V8's more gentle delivery compared with 400nm from a TD5 coming in as a huge wodge at 2000rpm it will be fine.

The axles are the weak point. Diffs, halfshafts and CV's, but again theres plenty chipped TD5s going around and there are also plenty of upgrades available if i do break those.

Thats all part of the fun though aint it!

Just thought I'd join the thread to register my jealousy. I'm back with the parents at the moment, and theres barely enough space for my own car, let alone the many projects i'd like to attempt....

Lotus Europa sounds a damned good idea.... I quite fancy an Elite. But I'm odd.

I'm back with the parents at the moment, and theres barely enough space for my own car, let alone the many projects i'd like to attempt....

I'm not with my parents but the house i live in has no offstreet parking, nor even a garden close enough to the road i could wedge a car in. I've been storing the landrover (well its constituent parts now) at a mates farm since i baught it, and been working on it there as and when i find the time, but it has no cover, so work is very weather dependant, and having no summer at all meant that i didnt get much done.

I've been trying for months to find a suitable workshop, myself and a few mates thaught we'd found somewhere local a few months ago, the rent seemed good and it was a nice size, existing tenant knew one of my mates and let him know he was moving out. So we expressed an interest to the landlord and he put us onto his letting agency. Turned out they were wanting a monthly fee twice what they were charging the previous guy, (from £500ish to over a grand) and that just knocked it waay outside our budget (especially as the £500 was going to be tight as it was).

Just need to keep looking :(