Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Chip 'N' Spin??

  1. #1
    Lee Goodall's Avatar
    ..got my head together!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    2,223

    Chip 'N' Spin??

    Anybody had any dealings with Chip 'N' Spin recently?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    dieselfitter251's Avatar
    Blow ma own trumpet?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    High 'C's
    Posts
    1,130
    Only a quote for a remap on Stinky.
    Ford Mondeo 2.0i Durtec Ghia X Estate
    Leather / Dog Hair.



    Dieselfitter 251
    A4 avant '97 1.9tdi q
    a.k.a. STINKY
    [B]250k!
    ..she's gooooonnnne!!!!

  4. #3
    ECU Remap & Tuning Specialists

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Herts/North London
    Posts
    410
    Most of my feedback can be found in my section

    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/117-chip-n-spin-ecu-tuning/

    How can I help sir?

    Thanks, Mark

  5. #4
    griswold's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    336
    Went on rolling road day on nov 8th at chippeduk organized by chip'n'spin no problems.
    Sorted my mates passat after another company tried at least 4 times.
    A4 1.8T Quattro sport
    A6 2.4 Avant SE



  6. #5
    Lee Goodall's Avatar
    ..got my head together!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-n-spin View Post
    Most of my feedback can be found in my section

    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=117

    How can I help sir?

    Thanks, Mark
    Hi mate,

    Got a quote for a custom map with chip n spin a while ago now but due to other work that I needed to get sorted I had to put it off. Now I'm getting to the point where I want to book a date but have sent a couple of emails via your website with no reply.

    The main thing is I've got the older type ECU which requires a chip for the remap but the person I was talking to before said you only had a few left?

    Cheers.
    Lee.

  7. #6
    ECU Remap & Tuning Specialists

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Herts/North London
    Posts
    410
    You may have Spoken to Chipped UK as I don't don the chips on these myself. I believe they are PLCC44's (which have been discontinued and are like hens teeth). I can get you booked in at Chipped UK if you would like, I believe they have a few left and are closer to you than I am.

    Thanks, Mark

  8. #7
    Lee Goodall's Avatar
    ..got my head together!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    2,223
    Oh yeah sorry my fault mate.. It was Chipped UK and I'm being a plank!!

    I really wanted a bit of feedback from them first to double check pricing etc.

    Seems that everyone on here is pleased with your work anyway mate.

    Cheers.

  9. #8
    ECU Remap & Tuning Specialists

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Herts/North London
    Posts
    410
    I've just spoken to Chipped UK and they will honour the price I charge for a remap for forum members, which is 275 all in, plus if you want a rolling road run, it will be another 20-25 on top. They do only have 2 of the PLCC44 Chips left, but your's may also be a PSOP Chip (Whcih they have loads of). But wont know until the ECU is out fo the car.

    Thanks, Mark

    Thanks, Mark

  10. #9
    Markey's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    KENT
    Posts
    2,143
    So is it a basic chip and thats job done or is it then programmed to see what potentioal you can get out of the engine depending on what mods you have?
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

  11. #10
    Lee Goodall's Avatar
    ..got my head together!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-n-spin View Post
    I've just spoken to Chipped UK and they will honour the price I charge for a remap for forum members, which is 275 all in, plus if you want a rolling road run, it will be another 20-25 on top. They do only have 2 of the PLCC44 Chips left, but your's may also be a PSOP Chip (Whcih they have loads of). But wont know until the ECU is out fo the car.

    Thanks, Mark

    Thanks, Mark
    Is that price for a custom map? Got a few engine mods.. turbo, exhaust, FMIC, air intake, DV valve and hoping for 220 - 230 hp ish.

  12. #11
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,909
    i was thinking that myself, is it a generic map, or a custom job mapped to the spec of the car, as i'm sure Mr Lee's car isnt standard...

    Also surely to ensure the chip/car is actually working correctly they'll need to run it up on the rollers anyway, so charging 30 to provide you with info that they already know seems a bit cheeky? Unless they plan to punt you out the door without actually running it up on the dyno...

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  13. #12
    ECU Remap & Tuning Specialists

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Herts/North London
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Goodall View Post
    Is that price for a custom map? Got a few engine mods.. turbo, exhaust, FMIC, air intake, DV valve and hoping for 220 - 230 hp ish.
    All our maps are custom and take Mods into account. But with that list i would need to double check as it will probably take longer.

    Thanks, Mark

  14. #13
    Lee Goodall's Avatar
    ..got my head together!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-n-spin View Post
    All our maps are custom and take Mods into account. But with that list i would need to double check as it will probably take longer.

    Thanks, Mark
    Ok that'd be brilliant mate if you can let me know.

    Much appreciated.

  15. #14
    Lee Goodall's Avatar
    ..got my head together!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    i was thinking that myself, is it a generic map, or a custom job mapped to the spec of the car, as i'm sure Mr Lee's car isnt standard...

    Also surely to ensure the chip/car is actually working correctly they'll need to run it up on the rollers anyway, so charging 30 to provide you with info that they already know seems a bit cheeky? Unless they plan to punt you out the door without actually running it up on the dyno...
    'punt you out the door' ha ha.

    Yeah that's what I was thinking as I believe BYZAN A4 had a similar map but involved rolling road runs in the process?

  16. #15
    jcb
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,070
    custom map for 275?
    how custom is "custom"?
    built around a specific boost level?
    I would have thought if you were working with stock displacement, stock turbo and stock injectors with stock ECU and MAF there are limitations to what you can play around with. Air in, fuel in, timing etc.

  17. #16
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,909
    well exactly, if its a custom remap you need to run the car up on the rollers many times as you tweak the map to suit the mods and ensuring the timing and fuelling is spot on

    My mate had a DTA ecu on his Nova mapped and it took about 8hrs on the dyno and was still nowhere near perfect, espeiclaly at low revs/load sites. Obviously thats starting from scratch, but same principle applies.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  18. #17
    ECU Remap & Tuning Specialists

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Herts/North London
    Posts
    410
    Our maps are custom as in we don't just stick and "Off the Shelf" map on the Car. We take into account what the Customer is after, Economy, Out and out power or a bit of both.

    On a Car with the modifications as Mr Goodall's this would need to go on rollers at Chipped UK, emulated, etc so they can make sure all is as it should be. This is what I would class as a Live Remap. When I originally quoted I was assuming it was a fairly standard car. Hence why I will need to speak to them tomorrow and get a price.

    I have Mapped many cars without rollers and have many happy customers, not all cars need to go on rollers although it is nice to get before and after graphs. Any car such as this one I would always suggest a live remap to get the best results.

    Thanks,
    Mark

  19. #18
    ECU Remap & Tuning Specialists

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Herts/North London
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    custom map for 275?
    how custom is "custom"?
    built around a specific boost level?
    I would have thought if you were working with stock displacement, stock turbo and stock injectors with stock ECU and MAF there are limitations to what you can play around with. Air in, fuel in, timing etc.
    Correct there are limitations on what you can do with stock parts, but you can map a standard 1.8T with KO3s to produce 25hp 50nm or 50hp 100nm and somewhere in between.

    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    well exactly, if its a custom remap you need to run the car up on the rollers many times as you tweak the map to suit the mods and ensuring the timing and fuelling is spot on

    My mate had a DTA ecu on his Nova mapped and it took about 8hrs on the dyno and was still nowhere near perfect, espeiclaly at low revs/load sites. Obviously thats starting from scratch, but same principle applies.
    Again, I fully agree, this is why I would definately suggest rollers for this sort of car to make sure it is as good as it can be.

  20. #19
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,357

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Lee, you won't be dissapointed. Simon knows his stuff @ Chipped UK.

    In fact i aim to go and get mine tweaked to suit the FMIC and the Exhaust mani change, will kep you advised Lee.
    Mark

  21. #20
    jcb
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,070
    I know this is going to come across like the Spanish Inquisition, its not meant to. but most tuners won't engage in discussion as easily as you seem to.
    I am interested in the things you offer and you seem to have a very good reputation among people who have used you.
    can you fill in some details.

    What are the BHP and torque ranges you have produced for the 1.8t on K03s on the live remaps? Customer preference aside, most people will be looking for top end figures and bar stool numbers I assume. Don't see many people coming in for remaps for the fuel economy first and foremost.
    I had a look at you site but it only lists two 1.8t cars with around a 45bhp and 80nm increase. no details on what car/engine it was on.
    Do you have any before and after dynos of any customer cars or remaps that have been done?


    Working on a specific engine with stock parts (turbo, injectors and MAF with the exception of FMIC and intake mods) aside from timing and boost what else is there that you can custom tune?
    Even with mods like a FMIC and a 3" non CAT turbo back exhaust, there has to be a point that the tuner runs out of options with a stock turbo/fuelling.

    Its the one thing that put me off the "off the shelf" option. Used to annoy me that I was ending up with the same end point from 180bhp as the guy next to me who was starting at 150bhp and paying the same price!

    It costs me 50 for a straight dyno slot at my nearest 4WD rolling road, any tweaking and work done just runs up the bill, so I am keen to know what you can get out of a KO3s equipped A4 1.8tqs that is stock with the exception of a Forge FMIC and Milltek CAT back 2.75". assuming I want maximum power.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO