A4 2.8 v6 quattro rear diff bush

audi1664

Audi For Sale
Reaction score
Alright guys, got the audi up in the air at the weekend due to knocking on rear end, tested parts for wear and tear and it seems the rear diff front bush seems worn, can someone tell me if these are common to go or not?
Im not too sure of how much movement there should be but sure its the prob?

Can you also advise a place to get a new one from?

p.s it was quite damp around that area dont think it was diff fluid though????????

cheers for help guys???:beerchug:

dan

Leaking rear differential flange seals are not uncommon.

Most knockings from the rear tend to be from the arm bushes - about 16 in total, 8 per side.

I've just had the diff bushes sorted and it made a hell of a difference. Not a huge job if you can yer car up in the air. Also had a large damp patch around the right hand side of the diff with gunk all over the Diesel tank too, two garages advised that if I took the diff to bit to replace either flange (fnar!) seal or actual diff seals then I may not get it back to together!
I just keep the area clean and keep an eye on the diff fluid.

But as siena said, it's probably and arm or ARB bush...

i have had many bmw`s in the past and when the prop dohnut has gone it feels like that, on the audi its fine but like i say i used pry bar to move various bushes and the most movement came from the diff bush? it is literatly right at the front of the rear diff, have these been known to go?

Did my rear diff front bush on my S4.
Instead of std i used the one from avalon motorsports in the USA, I think at the time it worked out about £140 to my door (Exchange rate was better then). I never asked for the audi price, so would be interested if you know there bush cost?
It reduced the transmission thump i had, but i still have some knocking - hope rear suspension bushes will fix it
A nice surprise was that changing the rear diff bush improved my gear change. I suspect the old bush had dropped, not only could this lower the front of the diff, but the rear of the box??? Part of the gear linkage seems fixed to the frame under the gear lever. so i guess if the back of the box is lower it stresses things - well that my guess, the change in gear shifting ,made the job worth while.

i have had many bmw`s in the past and when the prop dohnut has gone it feels like that, on the audi its fine but like i say i used pry bar to move various bushes and the most movement came from the diff bush? it is literatly right at the front of the rear diff, have these been known to go?

Aye, they're known to go. Like I said, not a huge to fix. The diff mounts on to the sub frame, you can quite clearly see them, one either side at the top of the diff.

£140 to your door was that bracket included cus quite honestly its only the bushes that need replacing isnt it??????

$35 just for the bushes!

Should i replace the bracket?:uhm:

dan

yeah I bought bracket and bush - the regular one, I did not go for the firm due to noise.

I don't think you can buy just Avalon's bush unless you already have thier bracket as it is different ?. for a simple fix you're probably better with just a std audi bush. The Avalon set up though seems really good and better than std.

think the avalon bush is different shape. You need their bracket.

for a simple fix guess you are better with the audi bush alone.

I am well please withthe avalon (std firmness- not race) set up and seems beter than std - but at a price.