Front Suspension Woes (a wee bit longish)

IanWood

Reaction score
A week ago I posted to AudiWorld - http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2047455.phtml about my 99.5 A4 experiencing a "clunk" in the steering that was noticeable when rocking the steering wheel either at slow speed or at a stand still. Now, the problem seems to have increased after being intermittent for the past two weeks.

Four symptoms:

1. Clunking noise from footwell area on the driver's side (LHD). You can hear it when driving at low speed with the windows up or when at a stand still and rocking the steering wheel. A slight vibration cab be felt in association with the noise.
2. The steering is occasionally pulling to the left (you can see the wheel slowly creep over if you let it go while in motion).
3. For a few weeks now, the ride has been noticeably rougher than ususal. I can feel more of the road than normal -- too much. On more than one occassion I stopped to see if I had a flat or poor inflation which was not the case.
4. The tightness of the front suspension is lacking. It feels soft and insecure especially in turns.

I've been reading up and even downloaded some docs from Erwin to try and understand the suspension and steering hoping to see if it would help me identify the problem. So far I am thinking it is likely to be the tie rod ends which I think have in turn knocked the alignment out of whack. But even after a good deal of investigation, I cannot identify if the rods are bad or not. If you refer to my previous post above you can see the outer tie rods in the pictures posted. The car is off to Auto-AMD in the UK to get checked out and repaired.

What concerns me is that the car was involved in a accident 18 months ago where an absent minded BMW bashed up my right front wheel. The right side wheel, strut, hub, hub carrier, control arms, bearings, springs, tie rod, etc. were all replaced. And the left side strut, springs, and bearings were replaced as well. However, the rack and the left side control arms, sway bar, and tie rod were deemed undamaged.

My question is (if you're still with me, and thanks if you are) is:

Would it be possible or even likely that a failure occuring in the unreplaced items (i.e. the rack, the left side controls, sway bar, and tie rod ends) could have been prematurely fatigued as a result of the accident even though at the time they seemed to be ok and lasted for another 18 months? Is it far fetched to think that the accident may have left hidden weaknesses that would show themselves down the road?

My insurance company is currently suing the other driver as they still have not responded to my claims and I could conceivebly get this suspension work covered if it can likely be attribued to the accident itself.

Any input, thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian.

I would say yes its possible because an obvious way to tell that the left and right suspensions are connected is via the front sway bar. That sway bar is connected to both front lower control arms. The clucking noise you are hearing could be the sway bar links on the left side due to the accident to the right side. I'm no expert but that could be an option.

I'm suprised you didn't get flamed on AW for asking such a n00b question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyway your control arms are shot. You need a complete kit including track rod ends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

(I am pretty sure that i wouldn't get flamed on AW as I've been posting there on and off for some time.)

I do think that that front suspension "clunks" are not as easily diagnosed as you make them sound. Lots of evidence showing that repairs have been made to suspected culprits and clunks still not being fixed. Obviously a full replacement of arms and ends is likely to solve the problem but it is not guaranteed. The problem could also be in the rack, sway bar, subframe, steering boot and joint.

What complicates matters for me is that my car had front susp damage in an accident 18 months ago which I think makes the diagnosis a bit less straight forward.

But that is actually not what I am after. I am more concerned with the possibility that this problem is a latent defect originally set in place by the knucklehead who crashed into my right front wheel last February. What are the odds of the accident and this problem being linked is what I want to get feedback on.

The clunking will be the control arms. It's always false economy to only replace one side, that's not good practise in my book, especially when it comes to alignment.

A knock that can be felt through the steering is down to the anti roll bar links, it's quite a common issue. I've had it after arm repalcement and a few others I've spoken too also have. Being a 99.5 you should have the revised links, but even so these can still be installed incorrectly depending on the order the control arms were fitted.

In my opinion it's either the repalcement arms have been fitted incorrectly or the side that was left alone is worn.