Badger5Sky Insurance
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

Status

Eagle F1 - Tyre Life

Just wanting to see what other people's experiences are with these tyres

I fitted the first pair back in June (i think) and i've calculated that we're doing about 1500miles a month on average, they were on the rear of the car until approx 2 months ago when i fitted new rears (another pair of eagles) and moved them to the front, and barring the heavy shoulder wear caused by the tracking, the fronts only have maybe 3 or 4mm left on them, so i recon they'll need changed in another month or two judging by how quickly they've worn. But 6 months out of a set of tyres does seem a bit crappy!

Perhaps its just the combination of a high performance sticky tyre and the mileage we're doing, but they really dont seem to have lasted very long! Thinking about maybe trying a different brand next time, but i'm also going to have to keep a much closer track on the mileage they're doing to see just how long they did infact last!

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

2. # ADS
    ADS

Bumble Bee

Status
    The reason they're so good is that they're like putty. This also means they last naff all time. Its just the way they are. If you want longwer lasting then go for something like Toyos or Falkens.
    Audi S3 Quattro

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    similar history with mine, really depends on useage.
    they are a softer compound than most but they don't last as long as some of the other names.

I look at this way...
    The Michelin Pilot Sports I had are great last a long time but are 175 each
    Goodyear GSD3's are similar performance but don't last and are 105.........
    280 more for 4 is a lot, and I am not sure they run for 50% longer than the GSD3's

I just got four new ones, I don't expect them to do much more than 10-12k miles

Loadsagears

Status
    Greetings.

If like me you are on 225/40/18's, then the following is as I know.

The rears will last 20,000 miles and the fronts 10 - 12,000 depending on how you drive.

The fronts will wear on the edges due to them being a soft compound and 'rolling' when cornering, as they are wider than the original geometry was set up for. However, they can go bald on the edges for about an inch wide band, and still remain legal, with no significant loss of grip.

My own experience of these tyres is that for an A4 Quattro, they are the best you can buy, the grip is far superior to anything else out there (road legal of course).

This may not be the same for other models, but for my 2.8 Quattro Sport, they were the best.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    fair enough i guess that kinda mileage is about what we're getting too...

I've used Uniroyal Rainsport1's previously on other cars and found them good, and they seem to have released a new version (Rainsport2) so i might look at fitting a pair of those when it comes time to change them. Mate of mine has recently tried them back to back on the same car, and he found that the eagles gripped a little better in the dry, but in the wet the rainsports seemed to be able to shift the water quicker so provided better grip in the wet, and it does like to rain here in scotland!

Status
    Yep same here. You can't have it both ways. 12k is all you'll get out of any tyre that grips well and the Goodyears seem to be the best compromise between wear & grip and they're dirt cheap.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

6th Gear

Status
    I've done 10,000 miles on my Dunlop Sport 9000's since January, and no noticeable wear as yet. They offer good levels of grip too.

1st Gear

Status
    having seen fjtwelves posts on tyres, I fitted Continental sport contact 2s on, and they have been brilliant. I've done about 14kmiles on them so far (motorway and A roads mostly, with lanes and B roads for a short while too), and still plenty of tread on them. I had them fitted by etyres, and they were cheaper than anywhere else. I would really recommend them
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten

2000 B5 2.5tdi V6 (if only it were a quattro)

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I've never liked conti's after a set on my brothers old nova put me into a 360 spin on a dual carridgeway off ramp near my house many years ago, and i wansnt even pushing it particularly hard at the time, just driving round normally. Luckily i never hit anything and was able to continue on my way, but i never trusted those tyres again.

They just totally let go with no warning whatsoever, something that rainsports and the eagles do not do. Now granted they weren't SportContact2's they were the original SportContacts, but thats enough to put me off for a very long time!

Stoned As Fuk

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Siena View Post
    I've done 10,000 miles on my Dunlop Sport 9000's since January, and no noticeable wear as yet. They offer good levels of grip too.
    same here i have the DS 9000 and cant rate them highly enough

Status
    No noticeable wear on the Dunlops? Now that does surprise me. Basically means they're not doing their job I'm afraid. Worst tyres I've ever had on a car. The rears on my GTi lasted 69k miles! wheelspin in 3rd, nearly killed me twice. Dangerously poor.
    Alex Turner

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I fitted a pair of dunlop SP2020's to my old nova as they came up cheap on ebay and i figured they'd be half decent. First roundabout i came to with them fitted was understeertastic they gripped that much worse than the BFG's that were on there before!

Something like the SP01 might be ok mind you, and ive never used the SP9000's but as has been said, tyres that last forever, ie are very hard, tend not to grip very well!

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    had a similar experience with Pirelli P6000's
    so scary I took them off with about 6-7mm tread on them!

Owner

Status
    Yes P6000's are shocking.

I had a pair of those on the back once and F1's on the front and the back would slide out so easily.

I have had 3 sets of F1's and have been chuffed to bits with them.
    A4 1.8T Quattro

Loadsagears

Status
    For what it's worth, just because a tyre works well on one car, that doesn't mean it'll work as well on another.

Two examples, first, I tried TOYO Proxes on my Quattro, they came off after 2 weeks, no feedback through the steering wheel and no where near as sure in the wet. They suit Sccoobies though.

Years ago I had a V8 Rover SD1, and put Firestone S660's on it, bloody brilliant, could power slide with full control, yet these tyres on say a Ford Fiesta were fatal.

It's all about vehicle weight and suspension movement during acceleration, braking & cornering, and I'm not talking just about the compression cycle, lateral forces are as critical when cornering as horizontal ones.

Personal preferences will always play a part, and not everyone wants the same from their tyres, but having had motorsport experience, I can say that the F1's gave me all the info I need on what was happening at each corner and are for the best on a heavy (for its size) 4 wheel drive car. They may not be as good on a 2 wheel drive, but would suggest they wouldn't be far away from as good.

6th Gear

Status
    Well, all a matter of personal preference.

I've pushed my car pretty hard, and haven't had any scary moments.
    The fact they're still in great shape doesn't mean they're not doing their job.

I know people who have tyres as hard and non-gripping as the castors on a suitcase, that have managed to get them bald with as little as 4,000 miles of use.

A lot depends on your driving style, and suspension set-up.

Loadsagears

Status
    I apologise to those of you who may think I have too much to say on this matter, but as a final point, if a tyre does not show any signs of wear, it either isn't being used to its full potential, or it isn't doing its job.

Anyone who has experienced the difference in an Eagle tyre when cold or when warm will know what I am talking about. The stickyness when at operating temperature is there for all to see as when at cold they shed all the little bits of dirt they claimed when hot.

Racing tyres wear in two places, the edges and the centre, both are controlled by air pressure deciding on what is required of them. The fact that the Eagles wear on the shoulders is indicative of them working.

This is not to say other brands are not as good, just a personal view on a tyre that works, and works better than owt else I've tried! R.I.P.

Status
    Well my personal preference is I want them to grip well in wet & dry. Not sure what other preference you could have TBH. I'm just guessing yours must be "I want them to last forever" which as we all know is not the best criteria for a grippy tyre. It's nothing to do with suspension setup or driving style, that really only comes into play when you are choosing between 2 or 3 very good tyres. I know the SP9000's are said to be dramatically better than anything they previously produced, but my god they had better be, (Goodyear ownership rubbing off on them finally), but with so many better options out there they'll never get my custom.
    Alex Turner

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    tyres aside on this point I find that with decent suspension and a poly bushed set up front and back a change in air pressure by 1-2 psi is enough to alter feel.

I also think I have gone too wide with my GSD3's now and have lost some sharpness in turn in, been too cold and wet and my brakes aren't bedded in to get silly and see if they grip any more laterally.
    the 8.5" rims are probably lighter than my old ones but the tyres are definitely heavier.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    you've also altered the offset quite a bit from stock, which will alter the scrub radius and suchlike, making the car feel and respond quite differently from how audi intended.

It'd be interesting to compare some standard S4 rims at ET45 and 7.5J with your current rims but with the same tyres to see how the feel/grip etc changes...

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    they won't go on now!
    anything less than ET25/26 and they will foul the calipers.
    would be interested to drive an RS4 to compare steering feel......anyone want to lend me one for the morning?! promise I won't thrash it...

Owner

Status
    Yeah I bet going from the standard 7" to 8.5" will lose some feel.

I remember Gordon Murray doing an article in EVO about tyre widths and loss of feel.

You get much more tramlining?
    A4 1.8T Quattro

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I have Toyo Parada spec 2's on my 2wd and find them much stickier than the Kuhmo's that were on there in the dry, but not as progresive as the Kuhmos in the wet, i guess we will see what happens as time goes by, but the Spec2 are doing well for milage so far

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupie69uk View Post
    Yeah I bet going from the standard 7" to 8.5" will lose some feel.

I remember Gordon Murray doing an article in EVO about tyre widths and loss of feel.

You get much more tramlining?
    little bit, but I was already running 8x18 RS6's so the step up isn't that bad

1st Gear

Status
    I have to say, I am a big eagle fan admitedly I dont run them on my S4 but this is mostly because I'm a pikey and am working through the cheepos that came with the wheels.
    But I've run them on most of my other cars and they do a prity good job of taiming the nigh on 300 ponies I'm trying to persuade through the front wheels of a mk1 astra.
    I also had a set on my Evo, which I swapped for some toyo t1r's only to find the toyos although still good, just not as reasuring as the eagles when pushing hard.
    '99 noggy blue S4 / '84 mk1 Astra GTE turbo

1st Gear

Status
    I was also surprised that my rears had worn within less than 8 months, I normally get at least 11+ months out of a set, I think I'll be looking at Dunlops or Toyo again.