headlights

Adam-D

Reaction score
i have a prefacelift avant

i like the seperate headlight and indicator

i have however seen some headlights that are the same, but with a projector lens

my headlights have the fog built in, im not sure the projector ones do. but either way i want a set and need to know where to get them and how much

genuine early s4 were 2 peice i think, in pro used to make copies, not sure if they still do, try german ebay

i seen a avant with them on, im only asking as if they are genuine for the a4, i could put hid's in them

Adam, I can do you both the S4 2-piece projector headlamps, or the later A4 1-piece projector versions.

These are genuine Audi units, and are HID-ready.

can you get me a pic? i want the split ones as i want it to fit striaght in, im not a fan of grinding/cutting my metal work

many thanks

Sorry Adam, haven't got any pictures.

But they're just standard, genuine Audi S4 2-piece headlamps.
Search the forum, and look at Stapo69's Nogaro S4, and you've found them.

24062008364.jpg

Ebay.. £110 a set, inc indicators, And bulbs. direct fit, removable angel eyes, direct fit to car.

cant find you a link to any but you get the idea. also easy to fit HID kit :)

i dont have a bulb out either, its the reflection off the flash on my phone! :)

i have a fog in mine do the ones sienna is saying about have the fog in aswell?

ill go have a look see

Adam, S4 2-piece projector headlamps hon't have integral foglamps, as the S4 had external units in the bumper.

The '98 - '99 S4 was the only B5-based car to sport clear polycarbonate headlamps, with projectors.

All other A4's made do with the ordinary glass Bosch units with integral foglamps from '95 - '99.

Theres no OE parts that will fit the pre-facelift A4 bumper directly.

You'd have to get some S4/facelift A4 fogs and make them fit.

PICT0543.jpg
fogs fit in the air intakes you would have to fit s4 bumper or make something similar

As Aragorn said, none of the projector headlamps were available with integral foglamps.

2-piece pre-facelift S4 projector headlamps:

DSC00350.jpg

1-piece post-facelift A4 / S4 projector headlamps:

Photo0225.jpg

If you really want to retain your foglamps, you could retro-fit OEM post-facelift A4 ones into your bumper, as in both pre and post-facelift US-spec B5's.

will i have to do any wireing, mods just to fit the headlights? or will they drop right in?

the fogs i may get some aftermarket slimline ones and wire them in myself,
but the headlights need to be plug and play.

could you get me a price for them sienna please

Aren't the OE S4 parts going to be designed for HID's?

I dont know if the HID ballast etc will just plug straight into the old wiring loom, perhaps siena can confirm this.

I dont think you can fit normal H7 lamps to a projector designed for D2S bulbs?

seeing as we are on the topic of headlights and HID's i was wondering if someone on here could help me.

i just come back from a road trip to Edinburgh (birmingham - Edinburgh)

drive down was beautiful, those roads where build for Audi... :rock:

i have an A4 facelift 2000. and the light that comes out of the projectors is really poor. is it down to the projectors themself or do i need to upgrade to better bulbs or HID?

what bulbs are people using at the moment if not HID?

also saw one of the guys on the forum driving through Edinburgh central.
A4 1.8T silver with private plate D17... car looked mint. :icon_thumright:

anyway all comments on the type of bulbs you use whould be of great help and if i need to go down the route of HID, where is the best place to buy from and what power to buy?

can you describe what exactly was wrong with the light output?

The idea of a projector is that the beam is tightly focussed onto a specified area in front of your car, unlike the older open halogens, you dont get as much of a fade out between the specified area and the surrounding areas, its more of a hard cut. As such if the lights are aligned badly they will not illuminate the proper area, and you wont be able to see very well.

Fitting brighter bulbs/hid's will give you more light, but wont give you a larger illuminated area, so if its the illuminated area thats at fault i suggest you check the alignment of the lamps before going any further.

the light output itself is very poor.

just doesn't seem to produce much light. even when i focus the beam directly in front of the car it's really dull and faint.

the allignment seems fine.

thanks.

well i'd check the voltage to the back of the bulbs to begin with, the voltage on the bulb terminals themselves should be within .2v of the battery voltage with the engine running and the lights on. ie check the battery first, you should get around 13.9-14.2v, so say you get 14.1v at the battery the light connectors shouldnt have much less than 13.9v.

If the voltage is fine, then either the bulbs are just crap or your expecting too much from them :p Probably worth trying some new halogen bulbs to see if that improves it before going down the road of fitting HID's, as unless you go OE, the quality does vary quite a lot, and its quite a grey area as to wether they're even allowed to be fitted without the automatic aim adjustment and washers that they'd have if fitted OE.

to check the alignment, follow this guide:
http://www.modifieda4.com/web/tech/headlight-aiming.html using a deflection of 1% as specified on the slam panel rather than 0.7% in the article.

thanks Aragorn,

will give this a try tonight. will also check the voltage output.

If the bulbs are at fault what do you recommend? and where is the best place to buy?

i know i would have to wire in the speerate hid ballast, but will the headlight itself just plug in to my loom?

well thats what i mean, your car currently has one large round plug that attaches to the headlight to feed dip, main, side and fog, as well as the aim adjusters and another lead for the indicators.

I dont know if the HID cars use the same round plug, and then have some other connector for the ballast, or if they use some different type of plug. Because the feed thats currently going to the dip beam bulb needs to goto the ballast instead, and then the ballast output gets fed into the bulb. They may have used the same plug, but they could equally have changed it to something else.

The S4 2-piece headlamps use the same (round) connector as the ones on your car.

Connector only changed to the "D" shaped one with 8 pins with the introduction of the 1-piece post-facelift.

anyone has some face lift (one peice) HID's from an S4 let me know! I have been trying to get some for 10 months!!

I can do you brand new, both HID or HID-ready.

Both options are genuine Audi.

My beams have a very distinct cut off to them when dipped, although having just cleaned the headlamp glass, and replaced the bulbs (phillips extra bright (got a deal on them, but so far, not that impressed) they are better than the older bulbs. I usually use the halfords bright ones, but I find that they fade in power over time.

Has anyone seen and/or used these:
http://www.essexracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1159

I think they are a new and different to the bmw style angel eyes, and yes they do them for the pre-facelift too:
http://www.essexracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1158

I was wondering if they are HID compatable and if the light allignment switch works with this lamp. I wouldn't mind changing to these, as I prefer driving with my lights on (the amount of ederly drivers that pull out on you down here is unbelievable), and think that having my headlights on all the time is wearing them out faster. Or is this just silly thinking.

It's worth noting that aftermarket headlamps have no provision for mounting alignment motors.

At least, not the ones I've come accross.

Oddly enough, I can do you a pair of genuine 1-piece (post facelift) headlamps delivered to your door next day, for a fai bit less than those aftermarket ones!

At £250 for those ones in your link, they're not cheap either.

Just called up too, and can confirm, they don't have adjustment motors, nor provision for fitting them.

The closest I've seen to OEM Audi Valeo's are Depos, and the projector in these are not great either.

How much for them, and are they HID? I'm getting a bit annoyed at my dipped beams, as they do appear week too. Only the full beams are still really good and useable.

when i fitted my facelift lamps i ended up with two valeos one of which was broken, and one new depo lamp due to some ebay farceness.

I ended up stripping the broken valeo down and removing its projector and fitting that into the depo casing, and transferred the aim adjuster motor over too. Lots of hassle but i didnt want to have to put up with depo projectors. their beam pattern really is nasty.

If i did it again, i'd be trying to get a facelift OE HID setup, or failing that, a pair of facelift OE Halogen units and retrofit an aftermarket HID kit in there.

The legality of aftermarket HID kits is quite a grey area though...

I do genuine Audi 1-piece ('99 - '01) at £199.75 inclusive, plus £15 shipping.

Delivery is 24 hour, so next day.

They are HID-ready, i.e they have the recess for the ballasts underneath, and with the low cost of HID kits these days, a viable alternative to Audi HID-equipped units.

2-piece S4 HID units are a whopping £504.36 + VAT (each!)

So all in cost from myself is £214.75 shipped.

Is this what i would need, or can I just change my ones to HIDs? I don't want to seem to be mucking you around after all. Mine are one piece already, with the projector lenses

Ah, sorry, Denzel, didn't know yours was a facelift car.

So, your units are HID-ready.

Ballasts from Audi - £244.01 + VAT (£286.72) each.
Ballasts from me - £217.17 + VAT (£270.25) each.

Bulbs from Audi - £103.48 + VAT (£121.59) each.
Bulbs from me - £92.10 + VAT (£99.01) each.

There are cheaper options out there, but these are OEM Audi parts.

Hey Siena, further to our PM's (business mode)

how much for the 1 piece S4 lights with HID installed ready to rockaroll