Temperature display

denzelburner

Reaction score
Last night, the display for my clock and thermometer just turned red, as in backlight, but no info. I was wondering if anyone else has had this, and how to rectify this. It's the display inbetween the speedo and the rev. counter. Got a mind blank at the moment, and can't for the life of me remember the things name :banghead:. I might need to get a new one anyway, as it's doing the typical fade out as it gets warmer, but I'd rather not at the moment.

Thanks in advance

That'll be the DIS display. Driver Information System. And they all seem to do that..... Mines fine except the top left corner of the topmost part of the display.
Mind you, one day it couldn't be bothered at all, but came back the next. It may be haunted.

Just turn it off for a few days and it'll be fine. Replacement isn't cheap or simple.

Just the DIS.

So far, mine in my 12-year-old car hasn't missed a beat.

When it does, I'll just install my STACK dash, as far as I'm concerned, the info on the DIS is useless, I'd prefer oil pressure, fuel pressure, and on a 1,8T, boost pressure.

Might as well rename the damn thing "DUI" - Driver's Useless Information.

Lol, how do I turn it off? is it just a case of removing the wires from the back? Are there any replacements for the DUI?
Mind you, it does give me advance warning as to wether i need to put my hat on or not before I exit the vehicle. A very important thing in my eyes, lol.

dont you just use the DIS controls (up or down) on the wiper stalk until it goes off? or the reset button underneath?

I don't have any buttons on my stalks, it really is a DUI. It doesn't have a trip computer or anything like that, it just tells, or told me the temperature and something else, but can't remember now. It really is that usefull. I just want to sort it out as it's bugging the hell out of me :banghead:

yours must be an SE then? Just has 4 large indicator lamps in the middle of the dash with two smaller lines under it?

Oh, I see.

Just an ambient temperature display then.

Unlikely to be the sensor.

If the sensor's even unplugged at the front, it just shows a max value on the display, rather than nothing.

Cost is about £110 from memory.

There are very little options out there.

The only other option is to retro-fit a cluster with the full DIS system.
A costly undertaking, as it involves a lot of wiring.

It also comes with its own set of gremlins, as the DIS display is notorious for premature failure.

Only option really, is to replace the ambient temperature display, or just get used to seeing it in "black hole" mode.

does it or did look like this?

seems to be different to my petrol engine DIS as mine is a one whole unit like this

yes, apart from mine doesn't seem to have the bit splitting the temperature reading from the screen showing door open/ low fuel tec, and also less the auto box numbers.

what he said^^^^ dont forget to use there are 3 options under the pic once you have loaded it on photobucket
e.g. [IMG]www.photbucket.com/etcetctetc

Here we go, I think:
18112008335.jpg

and:

18112008334.jpg

My mistake, it has got the little split thing, just never noticed it before, oops :redface:

great you got there in the end, what shows up in the top screen? looks like you dis in only featured on diesels my pic was from a facelift 2.5 tdi.

the box above the red one shows the low fuel/ low oil/ doors open etc. It's the red box that seems to have given up the ghost. Mine is a facelift 2.5tdi one too, and pretty much the same, bar the auto display. All i can remember is the Temperature is shown, now can't remember what else there was, which is so frustrating :banghead: