Electrical Problem(no Headlights ect)

THE MONSTER

Reaction score
Hi,I have a Electrical problem and wondered if anyone could help..I was putting petrol in the car and I had my headlights on and of course the buzza sounded to let me know I had left them on..anyway I went to pay for the petrol and when I came back I could not get the headlights on with the engine started and also the indicators and windsreen wipers don't work..but when I just have the ignition on without starting it satrting everything works till you start the engine..I have looked at the fuse box and they all look ok...as anyone any advise please...thanks...

could be ignition switch try turning the key back slightly once you have the engine running if all springs to life before the engine dies then switch on back of barrel is kaput

Similar thing happened to me. Sounds like the ignition switch. When mine broke the starter motor stuck on and burnt out as well. Its quite straight forward to replace if you look at the tech articles on audiworld.com there is a good how to guide on there. Part is around £20 from memory.

Hi,I have tried moving the key backwards when ignition is on but nothing happens...I have noticed that the hazzard warning light is on in the dashboard even when I take the key out the ignition but goe's out when started..I feel there is some kind of reset with the key or something because of the lights left on after the buzza sounded..because it was ok. before i done that...

the circuits that aren't working are connected through a relief relay that only works in the ignition position, when you turn the key to start and the engine is cranking then this relay drops out to take any load off the starter. when the key is released back to ignition then this relay should come back on. i am 99% certain its something to do with your ignition switch, the only way would be to use a meter and check the outputs from the switch if there are any that are live in ignition then dead when engine running then its definately the switch

Yuppo. Sounds like the ignition switch . I burned out my starter motor too as the solonoid didn't return after the throw.
If, when you turn the key in the ignition you don't feel it return automatically then it's the switch, (the casing arounf the return spring cracks and expands so tha there is no tension in the barrel). You should feel a natural slot or position where the key rotates back to. No reset that I can think of. Just sounds like the ignition circuit is left open. Just what electricracer thinks too...

Faulty ignition switch.

It's quite common - the relief relay also controls your wipers, headlamps, (not sides) wipers, electric windows, heater / aircon blower.

The fact your hazard warning light is semi illuminated with the ignition off, also points to this. The hazard switch is the only switch that is not illuminated via the side / dash lights.

Replace the ignition switch, and you'll be fine.

Hi,I have posted a thread recently regarding the Headlights,Wipers,Indicators going off when the engine is started but ok.when ignition is on..anyhow because of all this happening everyone is convinced the problem lies with the Ignition Switch..I have had a quick look through Elsawin software to replace the Switch and I don't know if I dare atempt it myself I have some experiance with Brakes and things like that but I don't know if I should attempt this..can anybody say if it's quite straight forward or not, the Part I think is about £26.00 from Audi and they state original part only(that's ok I only use them anyhow..)be glad of some comments...

Hi,I have posted a thread recently regarding the Headlights,Wipers,Indicators going off when the engine is started but ok.when ignition is on..anyhow because of all this happening everyone is convinced the problem lies with the Ignition Switch.

I guess you are refering to THIS thread that we have been reading and making suggestions on!

:jester: