Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Going to drive car into a river tomorrow!!!

voteforpedro

Reaction score
So I finally finished the O/S control arms and there is still an annoying scraping sound!!!

Here's a brief history.

- Failed on one control arm either side
- Bought a new upper front control arm from GSF
- Replaced it - I only removed the strut and the upper control arms; the lower control arms and hub and caliper etc remained in place
- Drove it around to test and I could hear a faint scraping noise at around 5 mph

This prompted me to do it properly so I bought a 12-piece kit. Finally got it all on and I can STILL hear that sound. What the hell is it? Wheel bearing? CV joint? It was fine before I started to work on it but I was a little brutal with the drive shaft...

I somehow lost two of the three large washers for the strut top mounting in the engine bay. I wonder if they are clonking around somewhere? I doubt it though, as the grinding sound sounds rotational, if you know what I mean...

Second problem - I had the door open and was turning the steering wheel from full lock to full lock to check for nasty sounds and I caught a glimpse of the sill and noticed it shifted slightly. This means the whole chassis is shifting with the turning. Only slightly but I have never noticed a car do this before... The ignition was on so the power steering was active. Is this normal???

On the plus side, the suspension felt good on my brief drive round the block. Hit a few kerbs and things to listen for creaking/knocking and it was quiet as a mouse. :)

Warped disc? or just the pads reseating themselves after being removed. Were the discs badly worn?

Sounds like the disc might be rubbing against the back plate.

Remove both front wheels, and make sure the back plates are clear of both discs.

Warped disc? or just the pads reseating themselves after being removed. Were the discs badly worn?

Discs were nearly new - as thick as your arm. As were the pads. Also the sound appeared after I replaced the single arm on its own, without removing the caliper, disc or pads.

On the test drive earlier the brakes felt fine, albeit a little spongy. Should I bleed them after removing the pads and disc?

Sounds like the disc might be rubbing against the back plate.

Remove both front wheels, and make sure the back plates are clear of both discs.

Yay! I thought the plate looked a little bent but I forgot to check it before reassembling. Will have a look tomorrow.

Cheers!

Any other thoughts, anyone?

as for the "sill" moving when turning, due to the design of the suspension the car will move side to side if you dry steer it on the spot so dont worry about that.

Maybe a daft question, but have you put your arch liners back properly? Maybe rubbing against a wheel? Just a thought....

Just to let you know, I took the wheel off and sure enough the upper part of the splash shield was bent inwards slightly so would have been scraping against the back of the disc. Although I haven't test driven it yet...

So, the provisional winner is...

Siena!!!

And you win... erm, a pint if I ever, ever meet you and have the opportunity. :arco:

Great!!! saved from the river now?