JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    Stoned As Fuk

Status

"Service Position"

Hey all,

I have seen on a few forums about this Service Position you can set on the A4.

What can you do with this exactly, does it leave enough room for a timing belt change as it would save a lot of time and money if it would.

Any one got a DIY link on how to do it and cheaply. Seem some site selling tools but would rather use something homemade.

Thanks all

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    yer basically you remove the front bumper and move the "lock carrier", which is the radiator support frame, forward about 15-20cm to allow you into the front of the engine.

You unbolt the 8 bolts holding the lock carrier to the chassis and replace two of them with threaded rod, then it just slides forwards, using the threaded rod as a slide

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    The tools are basically 2 poles that fit within the chassis rails, and run through the corresponding holes in the front clip / crossmember.

I personally have never used them on any B5 / B6 / C5-based cars.

Not sure what you mean about the saving money aspect if the belt could be replaced with the clip in this position?

The belt's designed to be replaced with the front end in service mode, unless you're asking if the belt can be removed / refitted with the front all bolted in place?

Stoned As Fuk

Status
    my garage man was talking about just pulling the whole front end off incl radiator support frame, if putting it into service mode will save time then am all for it

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm reckoning on just taking the whole front end off mine. Not sure if I can be bothered about an extra 10-15 cm (Although my girlfriend would probably like it)....

I'm 6'5" and have hands like shovels, so I doubt it would help me all that much

'98 Santorin Blue 1.8t Sport

2nd Gear

Status
    As suggested above,
    It is often easier to remove the whole front end when changing a cam belt.
    Time wise it is only a few mins longer to do this, makes the removal of the crank pulley, fitting/timing of the belt much easier.
    The aircon rad is designed to lift away and I support it on the o/s front wheel with an old V belt. The rad needs to be drained and the boost cross pipes on the 1.8T needs to be removed from both sides.
    All the electrics simply unplug in one location, with the exception of the headlights, indicators, aircon clutch and the rad fan switch.

2nd Gear

Status
    so it doesnt mean putting the ecu into a "mode"

it just means unbolting the front end for access