a8 sport wheels on an a4

yendall24

Reaction score
i have managed to get myself a set of a8 quattro sport alloys of ebay. i want to put them on my a4 will i need spacers to fit these onto an a4 if so do i need a spacer on each wheel back and front and how thick do they need to be

What's the offset of the wheels you bought?

Or could you post up the part number of the wheels themselves?

You'll need at least 15mm spacers to fill the B5 arches.

arent the stock B5 S4 rims 17x7.5" at ET45?

How wide are these 18" rims?

Surely spacing the wheels out 15mm is going to put them pretty close to the arches?

i would imagine the tyres are so wide because the wheels are 8 or 8.5" wide.

Fitting 225/40's to 8.5" wheels isnt really ideal and while it might work it wont give the best roadholding or performance from the tyre due to reduced sidewall compliance.

Unfortunately i'd imagine that with such wide rims you have to compromise between the tyre fitting the rim properly, the rim/tyre catching on the suspension and the rim/tyre catching on the arches.

a quick google suggests the wheels are 8" wide.

The standard 16" A4 Sport alloys are 7" wide with a 45mm offset

An 8" rim with 48mm offset will stick out 9.7mm more than the original rim (ie closer to the arch), and the inside will be 15.7mm further inwards (ie closer to the suspension).

if you fitted a 15mm spacer as Siena suggested they would then stick out 24.7mm more than the OE rims (and be 0.7mm more inwards) This might mean they are very close, or too close to the arches and they may catch. Depending on how much clearance you need on the inside i would suggest trying to go for a thinner spacer unless you really have to goto 15mm to clear the suspension.

im running 18x8 inch rims at the mo and never had any problems although im not running 48 im on 35 if i remember correctly

i've always been under the impression that the wheel offset should be kept as close to the OEM specification as possible.

The design of the suspension relies quite heavily on the offset of the wheel rim, and changing it will affect the scrub radius as well as possibly reducing the life of the wheel bearings as the load is no longer spread across them evenly.

I would suggest that unless you HAD to for reasons of them scrubbing/catching on the insides, i'd be keeping the offset as close to that original ET45 as possible!

i have decided not to bother fitting these now so they are for sale cracking tyres 2 continental and 2 fulder 245/45/18 very reasonably priced send PM if interested

did you get them off ebay last week?i was interested in them but would need to get rid of my current wheels.

yes mate i did but be warned tyres are too big for an a4 as previous post suggest apparently wheels will fit with smaller tyres but i am not bothering

if i had money i would buy them and get new tyres but i dont.i think they look good on a b5.