a4 1.9tdi x reg 2001 cooling system riddle

yendall24

Reaction score
hi hope someone can help me with this query. i changed my thermostat and antifreeze today because my car was running cool now the car temp sits at 90c and the oil tem about the same which is a vast improvement the problem now is the system is not presurising and the expansion tank is staying cold. i took it on the motorway and gave it a 15 mile run in the fast lane got back home and checked the levels the radiator pipe at the top was hot but easy to squeeze and the expansion tank was stone cold the car seems to be running great all temps appear to be where they should be. i am stook for ideas any help would be appreciated

A motorway blast may not push the coolant round sufficiently after component replacement, especially in today's weather.

I'd just do normal town driving, and keep an eye on levels and gauges.
From what you've said, I think you've done all you need to do, and correctly too.

I forgot to ask - is your heater blowing hot air?

Hmm, so at least, the water's circulating.

I'd just monitor it over the next couple of days, with mixed driving.

hello jules first thing have you changed your thermostat if not thats where to start its the cheapest to do and usualy solves it. the problem i had when i changed the thermostat was the new one was faulty so i bought another new one from a different supplier and that was ok.