Noisey viscous fan?

andybnwc

Reaction score
Ive had a little noise from around the viscous fan area for years on idle at start up , seems worse when its been raining or very cold. I had the water pump changed last year but still did the same . Its been getting worse and now is noisy even when car is warm . Ive stopped driving the car now until i find out what the problem is.

Any ideas about checking it without taking front off?

Well hopefully someone can help us both its embarrasing when sat at traffic lights etc

Auxillary belt tensioner / idler is a common malady.

I'd suggest you remove the auxillary belt, and run the motor without it and see if the noise goes away.

Alternators are another suspect, but I'd put money on the tensioner / idler.

You may have to put the front end into "service mode", to facilitate belt removal.

It might be possible though, to access the tensioner from underneath the car, after first removing the undertray.

Only way to check the tensioner unfortunately, is to remove the auxallary belt.

Then you'll need to check the idler for excessive free play. Spin it, and listen for any noise, or rough spots.

To be 100% sure, you'll need to fire the engine up with the belt removed.
If it now runs quietly, you've found the culprit.

If you were closer, I'd come check it out for you.

I am glad I found this post, I have the same thing on my A4, Its been noisy for a while, I did spray the Aux belt with some Belt conditioner, it helped, but I think its getting near time to replace the belt and tensioner. Would you be willing to help me out Siena? I am not to far away form you, I could take a drive down, prob be after Xmas TBH.

Snoop, not a problem. Just PM me when you're ready, and I'll give you contact details.

when mine died it didnt get noisey, but the bearing started running at an angle and shredded a 1/3rd of the belt which was flapping wildly around the engine bay. Luckily i managed to carefully cut away the part that had shredded itself and drive it home to swap the belt and tensioners.
I did have to put the front panel into service position, infact, even then i found it was pretty tight to get my ratchet into the bolts on the tensioner.

Looks like its gonna be a garage job for me then unless any forum members around northwest wanna do it or if i had pics i could do it probably lol

Sure, beer's cool - who doesn't like the stuff? :beerchug:

Where abouts are you?

Usually a whining, growling or squeaking.

I'm getting a slight chirping sound but it sounds like it's coming from the bearing on the fan?.. When I kill the ingntion the fan seems to kind of rattle to a stop sometimes?

Was going to replace the whole fan assembly incl the bearing?

Cool, Snoop. Not too far then.

Siena, you off the hook mate, the noise started getting louder, I dare not leave it any longer. I had a mate from work help me yesterday replace the Aux belt and tensioner, I think it was well due for a new tensioner. Have a look at this. :wtf:

DSC00481.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

You may have to put the front end into "service mode", to facilitate belt removal.

It might be possible though, to access the tensioner from underneath the car, after first removing the undertray.

Just a FYI, it was possibile to replace the tensioner and belt without putting the car into the service position, just enough room to access the bolts for the tensioner.

mine went the same way, but didnt make any noise.

The angle of the idler meant that half the belt was running off the edge of the tensioner and eventually cut thru and began flapping all round the engine bay!

I'd noticed some fraying on the belt a few months previously when i changed the thermostat but didnt realise at that point the issues with the tensioner and assumed it would be fine!

My tensioner had cap head allen bolts holding it on and i found that even in service position was quite hard to get my ratchet and hex drive into it. Had they been normal nuts/bolts it might have been easier though!

ive just done mine today , got rid of the new noise but still have a light click noise which completly disapeared after a few mins on closer inspection noise seems to be coming from around water pump area . I had a new pump around 1 half years ago but car has been stood around alot for like 6 months could this of damaged the pump?

I checked all pulleys which are esp ones and the spin freely apart from main bottom one of course.

I still got the car in service mode at the mo

Just a FYI, it was possibile to replace the tensioner and belt without putting the car into the service position, just enough room to access the bolts for the tensioner.

Oh, I was thinking V6 engine for some reason.

The 1,8 / 1,8T are right at the top, held by 3 13mm bolts, and is accessed easily enough from the top.

i was gonna say , that you must be a magician to do that lol any how need to find the clicking sound now