is it just my fan?

a4sean

Reaction score
Hi there.
Thought I would post up here before wading through various parts with my hard earned cash!
The fan on my 98 1.8t has always been a little 'temperimental' but has got even more so of late. You can have the CC on full chat and get nothing then half way through your journey it can cut in and start working then sometimes won't work at all?
Any advice muchly appreciated :thumbsup:

my fan is on all the time. have you checked all connections and wires? tis all i can advise as i have not come accros this prob! (yet) lol

This is how mine started. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I hit a bump and it comes on. Other times it's on but as everthing arms up the motor slows down and barely blows despite being on full chat. Sometimes it makes clicking sounds.

I just got a new unit from ECP for £88

what a new fan motor? is this the part that is behind the glove box?

lmfao... i thought you ment the engine fan! lol

ill get beck in my corner!

Yes, sounds like the carbon brushes on the fan motor are worn.

Sometimes it makes clicking sounds.

I just got a new unit from ECP for £88

Have you tried using VAG COM to see/clear any errors?

the clicking sounds i experienced was one of the 3-4 motors under the centre console, for example Temperature regulator motor and flap positioning motor and a few more i cant remember.

But these rarley go wrong, i had an issue with the temperature which was fluctating hot and cold what i done was disconnect it from the motor started the car then plugged it back it seems to clear it.

The click I was experiencing went up and down with the fan speed so I'm pretty sure the motor is kapput. Just got to my mums place to change it so will see how it goes