loud humming noise coming from rear axle?

randallons

Reaction score
Website
lifeonthemoon.com
Hi, first post on the forum..I'm sure the first of many. Juts bought a 97 a4...I'm hearing this humming sound thats pretty loud coming from what i think is the center of the rear axle. In other word, it doesnt sound liek its coming from a particular wheel. It's loud enough to hear without the radio on, but if the radio is up a little you can't hear it. Of course it gets louder the faster I go. Is this normal? The car has 99,000 miles on it, a 2.8, 5 speed manual. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mine's 99.5 2.8V6 Quattro Tiptronic & makes the same (or at least a very similar) noise. I made the dealer replace both rear wheel bearings but that didn't fix it. In my case, it seemed to be road surface sensitive, being louder on coarse surfaces than on smooth ones, so I tried replacing the Goodyear NCTs with Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres. That reduced the noise, but it is still there.

Yeah, mine doesnt seem like its the tires, almost positive its diff. or bearings, but doesnt really have any vibrations like a bad set of bearings will have. I hve read in some other audi forums about similar problems that were associated with bearings...Anyone ever do their bearings? I'm sure it can be done by myself in the driveway eh?

sounds like bearings........one of my last cars had the rear bearings go and they got louder and louder until the wheel comes off........almost did with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Did not notice it until it went to the garage as I used to have the stereo loud.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

m-sub-f-side.jpg
dancing.gif