1.8tqs Avant anyone. Looks nice!

theres also a '99 TQS listed on ebay atm, ~3 days to run and was at just over a grand last time i looked. Needs a little bit of work though, service, timing belt etc...

i want to swap my one for an avant but doubt that will happen.he says you wont find annother on ebay,there was about 6 on ebay the other week.not avants mind.

I would, but I just prefer the diesel. Quite happy to sacrafice about 40 bhp for an extra 15mpg. However, I did see an Avant1.9tdi q from northern Ireland on ebay a few weeks ago, newest I've ever seen, it was a '99. I would have gone for it but I had already comitted to a shed load of work on my old girl.

isnt it more like 70hp?

quattro 1.8T's are 180hp, vs the 110hp of a tdi...

i guess you could chip the tdi, but you could equally chip the petrol

When i did the maths, it would take a very long time to make up the difference in price between TDI and 1.8T so it just didnt seem worth it. Over the time we planned to keep the car the TDI would only just have recouped its cost premium, although to be fair we were comparing FWD 1.8T vs FWD TDI. The TDI was also down on the sport pack and the decent alloys and seats that comes with it which kinda sealed the deal.

A quattro TDI is probably a better prospect than a FWD one though, as i suspect it will come with the sport pack.

Aye, true! On all of the above, I forgot the 1.8tq's were 180.. and mine is probably down to somewhere around 95bhp.
Like I said though, i'd comitted a shed load of work and I'd already spent a bit on the ole' frauline. When I got her, I had a POS '97 Passat and was itchin for a B5 q avant and mine came up. I'm doing close to 2k per month with a load. My friend has an 04' cupra R, who is regularly moaning about how often they have to fill up. They always leave me standing, but then I often pass them while they're in the petrol station.
And, yes, I've got the sport pack with EDL (which I have absolutley no use for - and that includes the rodent deterant system!!).
Even now though, I think I'd invest in a newer Tdi over a petrol. With remapping and exhaust options (if it was reaally necessary) I think I'd be just as satisfied.