dead pixels in the centre display!

KEVEO

Reaction score
Hi,

the computer display in the centre of the clocks has got loads of dead pixels in & I can hardly read what it says.

Whats the best way to go about fixing it? the repair costs seem expensive to me! Can I simply buy some second hand clocks?? I've heard the clocks form part of the immobilliser????!!

Any help greatly appreciated!:icon_thumright:

Cheers!

Hi Kev, and welcome.

What model and year is your car?

THe immo is in the clocks but from what i know you can swap the screens between clocks as long as they are the same version year wise.

Howdy!

The cars a facelift 1999 1.6

Anyone know how much I would pay for a second hand display?:3sadwalk:

Be careful as it is quite a common problem, buying second hand could end up having the same problem. It may seem fine when cold however it starts going Pete Tong once it heats up. Im sure facelifts have a built in Immobilisers.

And some pre facelifts as i have found there is a cross over period.

yes very true i'm sure some face's have an analogue clock under the rev counter

Yeah, my S4 is a facelift but has the analogue clock. It's 1999. Don't know if it has the immobilisor in the clocks or what though?!

I plan to send mine away to get repaired.

this is true but it is a change over year as it was thought that mine did not have it but i found they do and it is a early 97 so you just need to make sure you match the clocks if you can they also have different cable sizes as well which is a sign.

ive got a dial kit dash etc in my car in 100% working order cheap?? from my 1997 audi a4 t-sport

If all the pixels are ok I might be interested. How much for? Sorry, will this fit my 1999 S4? Can I just take the screen out your dial cluster and put it in mine?

Mine looks like this

DSC03445.jpg

DSC03443.jpg

MY DIALS LOOK DIFFERENT AS MINE NOT A S4. DIS LOOK THE SAME AS MINE IT JUST DIALS ARE DIFFERENT. AND YES ALL MINE IS IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER.

if you want to replace the DIS you will need a degree in soldering

My display is amusing. All strange when cold but fine when warm. Again, it's only the very top bit (radio station, CD Track Etc.) My car is just about pre-facelift and has the analogue clock in the tacho.

It's almost as if they wanted to put steering wheel controls on for the stereo, but didn't have time. The display on its own seems a bit pointless.....

I will possibly have two sets of clocks avaliable for sale both with perfect DIS depending on weather i can be bothered to try and fit it to my car anymore.

shame they are not in the u.k

Ill second that as i found out :

19102007218.jpg

Good work, did you use a hot air pencil to do that? I have access to one of those ok and it doesnt look that difficult to reflow. I always thought it was small cracks on the actual ribbon cable that were the cause. I havent even dismantled mine to investigate but may do so. Do you have any close up pics of the ribbon cable?

cheers

can't really see what the picture is showing but do you have to solder all those inline contacts above the tape measure?

a4turbos,
Hot air pencil is the way to go, dont rush it and dont pull on the ribbon cable, let it come away in its own time, i used a portasol (http://www.dansdata.com/portasol.htm) to get mine off,

To put back on brush the contacts with some flux and tin the contacts on the circuit board first, then with a fine tip soldering iron line the new display contacts up and heat each connection up in turn with the soldering iron and the solder that you had previously tinned the circuit board up with will be sufficient enough to solder the connection.

NOTE this is not a straight forward easy job even though it sounds like it, it took me 2 attempts to get it right.

LCDDIS.jpg

you have done an excellent job wish i had the skill to do this.

When i can afford for it to be done Jimbo is probably the man to do mine !! I have a brand new display from a new dash i bought to get swapped over

Just need a house first....