New here...

SubaruSTi

Reaction score
Hey im new here (sorry about my name, but im a huge rally fan)
First a little about me, i like to drive cars pretty hard, im a rally and formula one fan and that carries over on to the road. Im young and dont think a whole lot when i drive hard, and this translates to when i rolled my moms $55,000 bmw x5 last year when sliding it around corners (that rally [censored] DOES NOT work in suv's aparently). This devistated my chances at getting the car i had dreamed of (a used wrx) I had 3 friends in the car and miraculously no one was hurt, the car rolled 3 times and the police officer said it was bizzare at least one of us didn't get killed, especially since noone even got a scratch.

Now, my parents are going to let me drive again (they've already let me take out their new x5 alone) I need a cheap car becuase i cant afford collision insurance (the insurance company wasn't to happy with paying in full for the x5) My dad works at a law firm and one of his friends there is selling a 1997 audi a4-v6 2.8 quatro. It has 95,000 miles on it! but according to my dad the guy has babied this car. Hes willing to sell it for $7500 which seems like a pretty good price. I have no problem with this as im lucky to not be driving around a junker boat car like most of the kids in my high school do.. (and they never rolled any bmw's)
Now my question is... is this a good deal?
Also, after the rollover i freak out at any sign of extreme body roll, so im definatly going to get the car lowered with any money i can earn from a summer job. What kind of springs should i get?
Also thinking of getting a very stiff sway bar.. whats a good brand?

btw in my defense... if you've ever drivin an x5, you completely forget its an suv. It gave no sign of too much body roll until it was too late

Alot of these guys know more about this stuff then i do but if ya still want my input...I just got my A4, this year, same exact car and everything. I think that its a good deal, the car is really reliable. Mine had 97K mi and i got it for $8500. Springs that i have on my car are Eibach lowerin springs, i like them alot. Havent had n e problems with the car excpt when i froze my caliper, which is my fault for tryin to catch up with my friends SS. If u plan on modding the car i would rather get a 1.8T or 98+ A4. Which i actully learned the hard way. the 97 only have 12v, while the 98+ have 30v. There are so many more parts with the 1.8T, i believe. listen to what some of these guys have to say, they know ALOT bout these cars

Welcome SubaruSTI,

I know what you mean about these newer SUVs, it seems like you are driving a sports car. I drive my parents V8 Torage and that things handles like a champ.

I'm not sure what insurance is like for a 97, but if its anything like the 99's then its rather high, luckuly i don't have to pay for it.

Yeah, just like Lilgbeaner16 said, the 1.8T has more performance mods avalible than the 2.8. The price doesn't seem bad at all for the 97 V6 though. From what i have heard, a lot of people have gone with Eibach, i personally have just bought the S4 suspension. not yet installed. For a sway bar, the only company that i have really seen is Neuspeed(that is, i have't really looked either). Well good luck with whichever model you go with.

Sway bar = Neuspeed (19mm).

Lowering springs = Neuspeed, yet there are others.
(Not to rain on Audi A4 Quattro, but Eibachs had sagging issues last year; they may have been resolved.)

Yeah, didn't mean much by the comment other than I heard about the issue; I'd hope they resolved it by now.