Passenger side dipped beam will not work..Help!

jgfrazier

Reaction score
('96 2.8L A4 Quattro) I have replaced the bulb and checked the fuse but the passenger side dipped beam will not work.(only the dipped beam, all other lights work fine) The connector looked fine but has no power to light the bulb. Anybody know whats wrong?

i dont have the wiring diagram to hand, but i suspect there may be a relay in the circuit which could be faulty, or perhaps the light switch itself.

There also may be a fuse for each front dip and each front main beam so check them all!

There are seperate fuses and I checked them both but I don't know about the relay/s. I'm not sure where the relays are. Also if it was the switch wouldn't both sides not work? If anybody knows where the relays are and which one it might be that would be great!

the wiring diagram will tell you whats going on, but i dont have it to hand atm.

i'll try and look it out for you this evening, but cant garuntee i'll have time.

ok ive had a look at the haynes diagram. It seems like there is no relay, and that there is only one contact on the headlight switch for the dip beam, so we can assume thats working.

The output from the switch splits off into two fuses at the fusebox. F20 and F21 according to this manual. They then travel directly to the lamps from there. Looking at the diagram the headlight range motor takes its power from the dip beam power line, so check if that motor is working on the duff lamp before going any further.

If its not working, it would suggest the problem exists at the fusebox, or the wiring between the fuse box and the headlight.
If the motor is working, it would suggest the wiring between the back of the headlamp and the bulb itself is at fault.

Silly question but i'll ask anyway, when you check the fuses, did you swap the right and left ones over? sometimes they can have a hairline crack thats difficult to see visually. If you swap them you can see if the fault moves to the other side. Similarly with the bulbs, swap the main and dip bulbs over (or side to side if they're H4) incase theres a hairline fracture in the filament you cant see!