ABS Help

Experiment27

Reaction score
Hi first post here.
I have Audi 2.4 V6 1999 Avant 5d
Problem with ABS,when I break NORMALLY just before i come to a stop comes a grating noise almost like abs is kicking in.No warning light comes on.

probably some dirt or crap on one of the wheel sensors or a faulty sensor, pull the fault codes from the ABS unit and see if its logged any codes

as long as its not touching i cant see it being a problem tbh, especially as the problem existed before he changed them...

they are magnetic though and crap tends to build up on them over time, one of the rears is probably faulty or has too much crap on it.

Are you getting any pulsing through the pedal? It should be vibrating like hell under your foot if it's the abs kicking in.
Mine was as you describe and turned out to be a sensor going intermittent on the rear but I got no DIS warning untill it failed totally.
Si.

I had this problem and it knocked the ABS off when I went over 50mph, but it wasnt the sensor at fault but a wheel bearing alignment that was picked up during MOT. Before the MOT when the garage tried to pull the errors to check which sensor/s were at fault and none were found making it harder to find, so anyway I had 2 weeks of this problem before it went into garage again.

Hi first post here.
I have Audi 2.4 V6 1999 Avant 5d
Problem with ABS,when I break NORMALLY just before i come to a stop comes a grating noise almost like abs is kicking in.No warning light comes on.

Before my current ABS issues (see thread BBAreman) I had a similar problem. Turned out to be a couple of dodgey sensors which in the end had to be dug out from the inside of the hub they were so knackered. Considering I may bhave the same problem again, :keule:if it is then I'll have learned my lesson about buying 2nd hand sensors! :banghead:

One thing you may want to consider is checking your rear ABS rings, mounted behind the discs I think (providing your car isn't a quattro). They're quit brittle and if one's damaged then it could be the source of your problems...and as it happens. I've got two unneeded as I drive a quattro....:eyebrows: