NOW WHAT!!??

ALPINE

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost
Reaction score
just popped out in car 1st time i have driven it since wednesday. now instead of hissing/spooling under acceleration it now ticks!! sounds like tappets on a old fiesta. BUT ONLY UNDER BOOST 80% of the time.

its the turbo init?

:banghead:

turbine touching the inner housing?

CAMSHAFT tensionor prone on early a4 my tapped abit but mine was caused my low oil pressure

Doubt tapping will be a turbo. Mine squealed like a banshee when the turbine blades were hitting the casing (caused by overspinning when there was a boost leak).

Could it be a rattling heatshield, loost exhaust mounting or even broken glass from last week rattling around somewhere? Could just be the resonance of the engine on boost causing a rattle rather than the turbo itself.

Doubt tapping will be a turbo. Mine squealed like a banshee when the turbine blades were hitting the casing (caused by overspinning when there was a boost leak).

Could it be a rattling heatshield, loost exhaust mounting or even broken glass from last week rattling around somewhere? Could just be the resonance of the engine on boost causing a rattle rather than the turbo itself.

none of them i doubt mate... i have had a good old listen today...

when idling it sounds like a derv. when i rev it the noise starts from the back of the engine... then as the revs drop goes into the block.

i going to go with a Cam problem. its in that sort of area, and only started doing it after cam belt was replaced! co-incidence its gotta be as the cam belt was fitted by a bloke who knows what hes doing!

where do i go from here then?? new cam shaft? kent cam it?

i wanna fix it rather than give up.. i have put to much money into this car already to sell it of scrap it.

cheers

For £350 id prob go and get AUDI TURBO's engine, i know its a long way away but for the price you could get a new clutch like you said your car needed and whack that in, to be fair you engine does sound a bit rough and you could spend over the amount of that S/H engine finding the problem.

right!!!!

i have put a deposit on AUDI TURBO`s engine and will going to pick it up when ever.
its minus the injectors which aint a prob coz i can take em off me old lump. but is there i direct upgrade i can fit instead?

Also i need a new cluch so may as well do it whilst the lumps out, what should i go for where and how much.

any other suggestions as to what else i should do whilst the engine is out let me know!! i aint got loads of money so no silly suggestions please! lol

:)

I would fit the S3 pistons and crank to lower the compression if you can get a set. If not then some forged items.

Might be worth doing the cam belt and the cam chain tensioner when its out.

Also Defo worth doing the oil pump if its high mileage and hasnt had it changed.

The compression ratio/pistons are fine unless hes going for BIG power.

Lowering it without needing to lower it just means it'll be lifeless off boost and any premade maps for the engine will be wrong.

its a AEB 1.8t mate. same as the 1 im pulling out! :)

What sorta moneys we looking at for pistonage? silly money or a couple hundred quid?

Yeah but everyone who has a turbo car craves the turbo upgrade.

With those pistons you can run more power than the S3 with the K04 as well.

Might be worth doing the cam belt and the cam chain tensioner when its out.

Also Defo worth doing the oil pump if its high mileage and hasnt had it changed.

oil pump has been done recently, cam chain tentioner good idea... price on that roughly??

just trying to add up all this **** as im in a race with the new baby due boxin day and supplying a good xmas for my wife and other kid!!

im gonna buy a metro!! lol

Point is unless your going for a GT28RS and 300+ HP, the compression ratio is prefectly fine where it is.

Its also basically a full engine rebuild, you'd need to hone the bores, new rings, new bearings, then you may as well do the stem seals and regrind all the valves, new head gasket, bolts, gaskets etc etc.... Not to mention the cam belt and chain tensioner and oil pump too.

Its not a few hundered quid, its knocking on the door of a grand.

I get the feeling he doesnt have that kinda cash to throw around, and the money he does have would be better spent replacing the cam belt and chain tensioner, and the oil pump, so that the engine stays healthy and in one piece.

you got it mate! if i had a grand to spend i would be gettin engine rebuilt!!

so oil pump we know is relativly new.. cam tentioner i will replace.

What cluch you recon???

would i be ok with a standerd 1 would be ok with a chipped ecu ?

sorry for the seems like newbe questions but i wanna get this car bang on or im going to set the f**kin thing on fire! lol

well again depends on costs and the state of the DMF on there...

I would be considering siena's 240mm single mass upgrade if i was in that position, the way i see it a bigger stock clutch is going to work better and nicer than some ultra grippy highly sprung uprated item.

this is very true. i have text siena today so i will just await the reply!

G, make sure to enquire whether its fitted with the original DMF bolts or not as they are quit long and when i put my lwfw on i had to get different bolts

what clutch you got mark?? i like the feel of your clutch when i drove your car.

Just seen you 'I Love Zip-Ties' sig.
:laugh::salute:

lol i changed it at ASN admin changed it to "forum legend" and a link to the thread about my little trip to the nick!

Didnt want people thinking i was biggin my self up so i changed it to that!! lol

You injectors dont need to be changed, you can run on them for up to 215bhp before they max out.

I have a single mass setup from gripforce in the states think the whole flywheel and clutch setup was around £320 to my door.

If you havent got megga bucks to spend you should try and find a DMF clutch which has a higher clamping load should be cheeper than buying a whole setup.

Seeing as you have new belts on your engine at the moment, you could take your pick of what ones look the best to use. Seeing as the new engines cambelt has been done id leave it well alone.

Prob a good idea to see if we can change the core of your old turbo over to your new turbo housing as there was less play in your old turbo than the one is on there. Id deffo be doing that as you dont want that turbo killing your new engine. If there is one comming with the engine you should assess which turbo is the best one.

Go for a Nuspeed front engine damper from Awesome GTI. Stops alot of engine slop.

Err i cant think of much else.. You know where i am if you need me:icon_thumright:

Re the DMF, depends if the one on there is servicable or not, If it isnt, he'll be cheaper going single mass...

This is true but i have a servicable one if he needs it :salute: also he has another 2 to chose from to so id hope in those 3 there is a good one in the bunch lol

im getting this....

R-623194600
edge-line.gif
CLUTCH KIT-228mm LUK
edge-line.gif
A4 1.8 20v 11/94 > (Ex. 1.8T AJL Eng. 98>)
edge-line.gif
£98.00

just a standerd thing for now. My fly wheel will be ok init?

Yeh what hes saying is the DMF has to be servicable to take a new clutch. There are certain tollerences to check befoer you fit the new clutch to a old DMF flywheel.

you 2 are wicked!! my car would not be half the way it is if it was not for your 2 (and sienas ) help!

wicked stuff, im gonna try and aim for next weekend for all this to happen. just hope work allows it and you 2 are free :)

Alpine, re: your text: Are you talking stock 228mm clutch, or uprated 240mm item?

Because my 240's aren't compatible with your DM flywheel.