Audi steering wheel

nemo2182

Reaction score
Is it me or is the S steering wheel on B5's massive???I drive a Ford focus for work and it the wheel just seems more compact and easier to manage when turning. Is there a smaller vag unit that fits on orginal boss that is smaller???

may be cos the b5 is a bigger heavier car?

Well this is an estate Focus...........

Why does it need to be larger just cos its a big car?

Well this is an estate Focus...........

Why does it need to be larger just cos its a big car?

The Focus may be a station wagon, but it's still lighter than even the smallest-engined A4 sedan - the 1,6.

A larger steering wheel requires less effort to turn, even if the rack was non-assisted.

Same principle with larger brake rotors vs smaller ones...

Less effort, same result.

ok fair point, the s4 is bit on the porky side, but if I wanted to get a smaller wheel, is there anything that will fit on without me having to change the boss kit??

there is no "boss kit" on a standard steering wheel...

The boss is integral to the wheel itself.

You'd either have to buy a boss kit and a aftermarket wheel, or find a wheel from another model of audi/vw that fits, is smaller, and has the same airbag hookup

A3/S3 ones might work? but i dont know if they're actually any smaller.

A3/S3 ones are the same diameter as B5 A4/S4.

I know i shouldnt but i have a isotta wheel with no airbag ,cause always been used to that kind of wheel and couldnt get used to the s4 one

which wheel do you have a 4 or 3 spoke?
i would much rather have a steering wheel with an airbag, having an aftermarket wheel you wont have an airbag and also you will have to deal with the airbag warning light.

If you dont deal with the light and if you have any other airbags in the car they will not work until you have cleared the warning light.

I remember a mate who used to have an E30 325i with this tiny Momo wheel. It was ridiculous as you could only either see the speedo or revcounter at certain wheel positions. And you were pretty much guessing what speed you were doing between about 60 and 90mph without dislocating your neck!

I had a e30 325 with a 320mm simoni ,i had no power steering! and i know what you mean about not seeing the speedo etc lol