Different brake options

auroan

Reaction score
Website
www.dkwracing.uk
Some of my previous cars have been based on the Mkiv golf chassis (Bora, octy vRS)

A cheap upgrade for the brakes on the (288mm) was to put on 312mm carriers and 312mm discs. I've never really got to grips with what you can put on B5 A4s.

Is their a similar "cheap" upgrade which sees the gains that the 312 setup gave over the 288. Also I mean cheap as in not having to change the calipers.

Cheers

Danny

Carriers are about £80 iirc

Has anybody done this conversion as I'm very tempted but want to here from somebody that''s done it before ordering the parts up

ive not done it but i've looked into it

You need TT or S3 caliper carriers, vagparts do them for 90-100ish or you might be lucky at a breakers.

then you need a pair of 312mm disks from B6 A4 or A6 (they're the same, brakeworld part number rs3630 if you wish to cross-reference them)

You keep the standard A4 caliper and pads.

Thats what I'm looking at. Didn't know that the S3/TT carriers fitted ? That means I've got a much much bigger range of vehicles to look for in scrappers (Leon cupras, Octy vRS, V6 golf etc etc)

yup all the later A4s (ie B6>) and the B5 S4 and RS4 use a wider bolt pattern, but the A4 B5 uses the same as the TT golf etc

The only problem you find at breakers, is that they know the carriers, calipers disks etc are sellable as a kit for £200 or whatever as an upgrade for golfs et al, and so most wont want to just sell you the carriers!

Yeah, my brakes would be ok if the car wasn't 1500Kg (2.8q weighs a bit:()

I was just going to go to a walk around scrappers and try my luck. Can't do much yet as I'm running 15" rims until I can get some decent 18"s sorted.