Drop and wheels

N 14N NC

Reaction score
I have a 1998 1.8 20v A4 and have been offered a brand new suspension set up consisting of Boge shocks and Ventura springs -40mm for a good price, is this kit any good and will it make a noticable difference to the stance as i intend to fit 18" rims?

Boge shocks are standard equipment, If they are Blue or purpley/red then they're "sport" shock, black is standard spec.

Ventura springs are cheap and cheerful, They used to come with the Bilstein Streetline kits which are their entry level lowering kits, how they actually respond on an A4 i've no idea, and i guess how much you've been offered them for comes into play here.

I would try to go for the "sport" spec dampers if you can. 40mm is a respectable drop, although this is measured from standard ride height, so if your car is a sport it will only lower it about 20mm or so. Imo is about the best ride height for an A4 without it being too low and ruining the handling and having no compliance while still looking good

aragorn many thanks for putting me straight on that one. The car is just an ordinary 1.8 20v so is currently on farmyard spec springs:sadlike:

it'll probably be a welcome upgrade regardless of what exact spec the parts are tbh, replacing 10 year old bits with new will always make it feel better!

You've not said how much you've been offered the parts for, but just so your aware, OE front and rear dampers from bilstein are ~£45 each, and a cheap -40mm spring kit comes in around £50, So if the price is more than that then go elsewhere!

Thanks for the heads up, i have had to replace the rear springs on this car when my uncle bought it 4 years ago and now that it's in my hands i see it needs a front replacing due to snapping a coil. The kit mentioned above is available to me for £100 so it does seem a good price.

I have been to see the suspension kit and upon closer inspection the box the springs comes in says 1.8T - 1.9 TDi (ventura) and the springs are marked audi 300 front and audi 300 rear? The shocks are a different story as there are 2 rear boge shocks, 1 boge front part no 33-086-F and 1 bilstein part no PNE-3116. When you put the boge and the bilstein side by side the rod on the bilstein is longer:think:

i wouldnt worry too much about the springs being for a TDI/1.8T They're similar enough weight.

The missmatching front shocks are a bit more of a worry, but if thye're new, i'd buy them at that price, and get another matching bilstein shock, balance motorsport and motorsport world have them for £45.

so for £145 you'll have yourself a reasonable, cheap upgrade over your old worn stuff!

Are the boges black or blue btw?

Thanks for your replies mate, the boge shocks are black, i did think about getting them and finding a matching bilstein. I have also been looking on ebay at the Gmax spring and shock kits for around £169 and if i went for the spring and shock combo i would source a set of o.e style 18's.

My other option is to go for a cheap coilover set up and go for 18" Merc style rims........opinions?

Personally i'd avoid cheap coilovers if you want any sort of ride compliance.

They are often far too stiff for road use and result in a very harsh ride, which will infact reduce your grip in cornering. My brother had a set of cheap SPAX Coilovers on his old nova, and they were so hard that when cornering on uneven surfaces, ie any british road, the car would "skip" over the bumps causing very bad and unpredictable understeer. Not a nice combination.

i'd also rather have those OE bilsteins on my car than gmax... so if its a cheap upgrade your after i'd buy the kit you've been offered and get another front shock. If you want to spend more, your looking to be spending £400 on a decent shock and spring kit, or lots more on a decent coilover kit.