a few pics and little vid

ALPINE

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost
Reaction score
changed my led lights about today. look alot better i think. what you lot think??

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

heres a little vid too so you can hear my dump when i change gear. sorry for the wobblyness its hard driving and vidding!

is that really a standard recirc valve?!

sounds quite like an atmospheric to me!

Perhaps its just the cone filter making the recirc more audiable...?

it is my man, nothing but a cheapy forge rep re-cerc and a air filter! let byzan be my witness as he has had my car in bits!! lol

edit.... ah look he beat me to it!

Are you not getting hesitation after a gearchange?

nope... floor it and shes off mate! shame the vid dont pick up the spooling sound..
sssswwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissshhhhhhhhhhhhhh flutter flutter flutter flutter flutter flutter!! hehehe!

Watch that turbo of yours, i had mine fluttering like that last year.... and it killed the turbo after having the flutter sound. :( It was the fact the crap DV i had on mine wasnt working and causing the turbine to stall and forcing the air back through the blades.

Some turbos dont mind the compressor stall but after my experience the K03 doesnt seem to like it at all.

Nice sound tho :drool:

i was struggling to hear it that well on the video, but if its compressor stall then you probably are risking turbo damage...

If its just "tishhhh" ing like an atmo valve would then fine, but if its making a fluttery "cha cha cha cha" noise then its compressor stall, likely due to the dump valve not opening.

If its the latter, go spend £20 at your local VAG dealer on a 710N dumpvalve and fit that.

A nice meaty turbo like a T3 can handle the stresses of compressor stall, the K03 is quite a modern thing with lightweight thin shaft etc and especially at high boost your risking blowing it to bits!

i will put my standerd dv on today see what happens. im sure my DV is workin fine tho. :)

well is it "tishhh"ing or fluttering?

One is good, the other isnt...

Sometimes dump valves are configured such taht at low boost pressures they dont open and you get the flutter, then at full boost they open properly and you get a normal tishh, This might be acceptable assuming the opening pressure isnt too high.

Certainly sounds like a flutter. Group B rally cars eat your heart out!

Don't think any turbo with an oil bearing would like this. I think some of the ricers actually blank off their DV hose to get this noise, but turbos with ball bearings (eg: garrett's) might be a little more forgiving than KKK's.

its not really to do with the bearings and infact modern ball bearing garrets are just as susceptible to damage as the K03

The problem is that while a T3 or T4 is a brute of a thing with a huge shaft etc, modern turbos have been designed with throttle response and lag in mind, meaning the internal comonents are made smaller and lighter, this means they arent as strong to cope with shock loads applied in the form of compressor stall, and the end result is that you'll likely snap the turbine shaft or the compressor will end up in pieces

right....
i have fitted a OEM 710N DV and..............

its still flutters.... ok the flutter is not as long but it still flutters (alot more chirpy infact) that prooves it aint my Forge rep DV faulty. what now.. aint nothing else to replace!??! have a listen...

tell you what though i wish my boost was as smooth as yours my boost gauge needle goes to 12/13psi dropes to 10 then back up slightly then holds then tails off. i think my car was made by donkey with how many odd problems i have