Chipping an S4 with 86,000 miles

jginsbrg

Reaction score
I have a higher mileage 2001 s4 that I am considering chipping. It has been meticulously maintained by the previous owner and runs great. I want to put one of those 320 hp chips in there, do you think the motor and turbos would last? I was talking with my dealer who is a friend of mine. Having nothing to do with warranty issues, they advised against putting the chip in and furthermore said that dump valves would be a waste of money. Could anyone please help me out with these issues? Is there anyone out there that has run a chip for a decent amount of milage or has anyone out there chipped a higher milage s4 with little to no issues?
Thanks Much,
Josh

The S4 is not suited to having a Dump Valve fitted. In fact, fitting one could cause damage due to detonation. Stick with the stock Diverter Valve.
As for the milage, I am not sure, but I have an S4 with 88,000 miles and am thinking about getting an APR chip ( as soon as I sell my house in Swindon! )

when i got mine chipped at AMD i said i would probably sell it once it got to about 60,000 as i know the turbos are on their way out at that mileage, they said they had a chipped s4 there with over 100,000 miles on it and its still running strong.
You just gotta look after it like with any high mileage performance car. Check to see if the turbos have been replaced and what condition they are in. If they are on the way out and you get a chip it will only speed turbo failure up. Not good. Mind you any good tuner should check the car over to make sure the car can handle the increased boost etc so make sure you choose a reputable tuner.

88K no problem! The only weak point is the turbo's. I think owning a VAG with the K03 you've got to expect to replace them at least once, if you plan on owning the car for a while.

Of course when they go it's K04 time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif